How Kesha and Taylor are Changing the Stigma of Sexual Violence

Sexual assault can happen to anybody, even celebrities.

23
TMZ, The Daily Beast

Everybody knows who Kesha is. Even more people know who Taylor Swift is. Famous singers with very loyal fan bases (known affectionately as "Kesha's Animals" and "The Swifties"). Both have been in the news for their music, and for other serious reasons.

Kesha's musical career was forced into a five year hiatus when she was locked into a vicious legal battle with her former manager Dr. Luke, to free herself from her record contract. It gets disturbing. Kesha wanted out of her contract because she alleged Dr. Luke raped her and verbally abused her for several years, the entire duration she's been signed to the label. In 2016, the judge ruled in favor of Luke, igniting a public outcry from fans and celebrities alike, heartbroken and sickened over the ruling, the hashtag #FreeKesha flooding social media everywhere.

Kesha's court cases continue, but she's recently made her comeback. This past summer, after a long wait, Kesha dropped her first single in five years, the emotional song "Praying", which is a breath of fresh air for the notorious party singer, and is even consider a middle finger to Dr. Luke:

"I'm proud of who I am
No more monsters, I can breathe again
And you said that I was done
Well, you were wrong and now the best is yet to come
'Cause I can make it on my own
And I don't need you, I found a strength I've never known
."

It seems these lyrics are accurate, as Kesha's new album, Rainbow, was #1 on iTunes in its first week. With Kesha's colorful as ever outlook on life, I guarantee her career will continue to rise, no matter the outcome of her cases. Welcome back Kesha, with or without your trademark $ in your name.

Taylor Swift has been in the news recently, not for her new boyfriend, not for her feud with Katy Perry, but for her public legal battle against a DJ. In 2013, Taylor claims David Muller groped her butt cheeks, even going as far as his hand going underneath her skirt.

Taylor was very brave in her testimonies, refusing to be scared or feel victimized by the assault:

"I am not going to allow your client to make me feel like it is anyway my fault because it isn’t."

"Other than grabbing my ass against my will, underneath my skirt, and refusing to let go, he did not otherwise touch me inappropriately."

Very few victims of sexual violence go to the police, let alone speak in court. In fact, out of 1000 rapes, 994 rapists will walk free, making only 6 will actually be imprisoned (RAINN). To see such a famous, well known person publicly go to court and testify that she was sexually assaulted gives new hope to other survivors out there, perhaps it'll inspire them to speak out, report their incidents.

Taylor won her case. Her reward? $1. No amount of money will ever take back her ordeal, but the greater prize is she stood up to her accuser and does not see herself as a victim, but as a survivor. With Taylor and Kesha being in the public eye for their personal cases, it sheds a very bright light on a very serious, yet common issue.

Every 98 seconds, somebody in America is sexually assaulted, and it can happen to anybody; male, female, transgender, rich, poor, soldiers, civilians, and even celebrities. Thanks to Taylor and Kesha, they're changing the stigma of sexual violence, and are giving us survivors new hope. They're more than singers, they're survivors, new faces of sexual assault.

For more information of sexual violence: https://www.rainn.org

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673