I Conquered My Anxiety And Now I Feel More Alive Than Ever

After years of distress, I feel blessed to be in the position I'm in now.

60
Flickr

Come to think of it, I don't think you can actually "overcome" anxiety, but I've certainly curbed it to the best of my ability. I was a senior in high school when I had my first panic attack.

I had just went through surgery recently and was back in school trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, as a senior does. I think the combination of all the stress came down on me at once, and I felt like I couldn't breathe or get it together. I wasn't educated on anxiety at all, since I had never had it so I thought it had something to do with my surgery, a complication like something was wrong with me physically. I went through rounds of tests with doctors, and nothing came up abnormal, they said I was perfect when I felt the opposite.

The anxiety progressed and eventually I didn't even want to leave my bedroom because I felt so unsafe.

My mom put me into therapy to help me get my life back together since it was so out of control. I was totally spiraling towards rock bottom. I remember sitting in my bed thinking to myself. "How am I going to get through this? I don't know if I can live like this." I was not in any way suicidal, I just literally had no idea how I was going to pick myself up after getting knocked down so hard.

It took a ridiculous amount of time and energy to get through the rough parts. I'm talking like two or three years worth of pulling myself out of the fog and getting my life back on track. It took therapy and lots of positive vibes around me, never giving up on myself was really the key to it all I think.

Anyone who hasn't experienced panic disorder can't relate, which can be so incredibly difficult to explain to someone. You've had a panic attack before? That's cool, try having ten in one day. It's exhausting, mentally and physically. Not to mention emotionally draining.

Once you get a handle on it, you feel like you can conquer the world.

To any person out there who has lived through panic disorder, just know you are the strongest human being alive. I used to think that I was weak for having severe anxiety, constantly thinking, "Why me? What did I do that was that bad to deserve this?" The way I think of it now, and the way you HAVE to think of it is that God gives his toughest battles to his strongest souls. A person with anxiety disorder is the furthest thing from weak. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm glad I went through those years. It made me more aware of myself as a human being, and how I have no limits of mental toughness and strength. So, if you're getting put through the ringer from anxiety disorder, just know that it gets a hell of a lot better.

And you'll end up feeling more alive then ever once you make it through.