Your Top-Tier Sorority Won't Matter When You Graduate

Sisters, Your Top-Tier Sorority Won't Matter When You Graduate

You may be "cool" now, but in 10 years no one will care

350

From one sorority girl to another, can you top-tier ladies knock it off? Congrats! You're in Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie! You get to party with all the cute boys, and wear the cutest clothes, and have the prettiest friends.

NEWS FLASH: That may matter now, but it won't matter in 10 years — or even five — and it shouldn't matter now.

When we're all in our 30s, hitting the bars on a Friday night, we're going to talk about how stressed we are at our jobs, or how cute the dog you saw during your lunch break was, not that you were in the best sorority on your college campus. Yes, being in Greek Life is such an amazing opportunity, and being allowed to participate in it is something no member should take for granted.

However, it's not something that you should be talking about years down the road, when popularity and looks really won't matter anymore. Yeah, you were voted "best dressed" and had the cutest boyfriend, but is that going to land you your dream job?

Yes, your sorority can land you some awesome connections. However, you can't just expect opportunities to fall into your lap because you were in a top-tier sorority, that's not how life works. Working hard and being diligent in the choices you make is something I've learned my entire life. I'm not saying certain people don't have to work hard as others, but that's kind of how life works. Some of us get the easy way out, while others climb steep mountains every day to make things work.

I'm tired of seeing how certain girls treat others on campus, simply because they find themselves superior to them, whether it be a look thing, or social rank in terms of people they know, or what club they're in. Why are we still judging each other like we are 16? We're adults in college, we should not be treating each other like we did in high school. I went through sorority Recruitment, and certain houses 100% judged me based on my looks as well as my personality. I felt so uncomfortable when I should have felt welcomed. I don't care if I wasn't going to be a good fit for your sorority, I deserved to be respected.

I'm proud of who I am, and my sorority has given me such great opportunities to become the best version of who I am. Yes, I will brag from time to time how great my sorority was in the future, but by no means should it be a topic of discussion all the time. I have to hope that not everyone developed this sense of entitlement that many of the girls on campus I've seen have. Let's stop categorizing based on looks and all support each other truly as we are supposed to.

Have fun thinking you matter more than me because of your sorority. My future matters more to me than the parties I went to, or the cool factor I have on campus. My school work and friends come first, and I'll always look back on the things I've learned happily. You're top-tier now, but you'll find soon that it simply won't matter anymore when you graduate. You'll have to learn to define yourself, and not be defined by a sorority.