how to get a library card
Books Lit

10 Reasons Why It's Ridiculous You Don't Have A Library Card #Yikes

Librarians are some of the coolest people you will ever meet, so start acquainting yourself with one!

42
Woman in library holding mug
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-wearing-white-shirt-looking-on-top-holding-white-ceramic-mug-715816/

It's 2018 and while we have access to a wealth of information on the World Wide Web, libraries are still a vital source of information, literacy, and community. If you're missing out on this treasure trove located in your hometown because you think it's a place for kids, you don't like to read, or it's lame!

Here are 10 reasons you should have a library card and visit your local library:

1. It’s free!

Being the proud owner of a coveted library card is almost always free. The card gives you access to thousands of books, movies, TV shows, computers, and study space. It's like having a Netflix subscription, a computer, 2,000+ books, and a quiet room where you can be productive. All for free!

2. Librarians are some of the coolest people you will ever meet.

Librarians are a diverse bunch of people who often love what they do. Not only can they help you find a book or movie, but they sometimes have insight into your favorite authors, new books coming out, and upcoming events. I've met librarians with green hair, who go to Burning Man every year and play Dungeons and Dragons on the weekend. You'd be surprised how cool your local librarians actually are!

3. Libraries support the local community.

Whether it be hosting reading drives to increase local literacy, hosting counseling sessions, providing computers for people to search for jobs, or simply allowing people to get out of their house for a couple hours, libraries support the local community and its members, including you! Even if you haven't set foot in your local library, it's very likely you have been helped by it in some way.

4. They have local references you can’t find anywhere else.

Your local library is often the place your local history is stored. They probably have over a hundred years' worth of your local paper saved in its archive. Not only is this information important to preserve, but it can also be interesting and helpful to read, especially if you have to do a project on local history.

5. They are non-discriminatory.

Libraries offer free educational resources to everyone regardless of age, race, socio-economic status, etc. Anyone can walk into a library and check out a book or use the computer. Libraries often become refuges for all types of people in the community.

6. They host cool events.

Your local library probably often hosts weekly events such as book clubs, writer's workshops, etc. But, even the smallest of libraries host cool and engaging author events from authors you actually read. However, the events are normally only marketed within the library, therefore, you'd never know if you never go.

7. They are the center of the local literary community.

Readers and writers alike flock to libraries. Whether it be to pick up the next book in a series, attend a workshop or event, or simply just get some inspiration, it's not uncommon to meet local authors and critics among the shelves. If you consider yourself someone who is involved with the literary community, go to the library!

8. Free Wi-Fi.

It's uncommon to find a public place with a free and non-password protected Wi-Fi connection. Your local library is the one guaranteed place to grant that wish. If you find yourself without Wi-Fi and have an important project due, or a job application to do, head to the local library. Unless the whole town is out of power or some other technical difficulty, your library is the one place you can pick up a Wi-Fi connection.

9. You can’t spend too much time in a library.

You won't get asked to leave if you've been sitting in the same chair for two hours reading or if you've grazing the shelves for hours. It's normal for people to spend long periods of time at the library and unless you are being disrespectful or disrupting in some way, you won't get asked to leave. Libraries are hard to get kicked out of and are a sanctuary when you're feeling lonely or just want out of your cramped apartment.

10. Free books!

Possibly the most obvious and best reason to get a library card is that you will have free access to thousands of books. If you want to broaden your horizons to genres you typically don't read (without having to buy the books in case you hate them), or if you simply want to save money from buying books all the time. A library card is an easy and simplest solution.