How To Get Away With Murder Theories: Who Killed [SPOILER]?

Warning: Major spoilers for who's #UnderTheSheet below!
28

The mid-season finale of "How To Get Away With Murder" has left everyone with two questions: 1) How dare they? and 2) Who killed Wes? The question of who started the fire is one thing, and whether it's related to the latter question or not is still unclear, but the reveal of Nate, alive and well, finding Wes' burnt body on the table has everyone wondering who could have killed one of the show's most endearing characters -- including the show's creator Pete Nowalk. In an interview with E!, he said, "I only have four episodes left to write, so I have to get to the point where I know, but I'm always willing to change my mind. Anything's possible. It could be any one of those knuckleheads, or it could be someone outside of the group, too. Each time I watch it, I'm like, 'Oh, this person could have done it.'"

So, at this point, literally anyone is fair game. There are a few favorites among the possible killers though. Frank, for example, has gotten a lot of attention as the show's hitman (and intended concealer of Rebecca's death, which he either uncharactaristicly did a clumsy job on or pulled to the surface on purpose), as has Nate, since he appears to have escaped the fire perfectly unscathed. Bonnie being the killer in an attempt to cover her involvement in Rebecca's death has been a common theory, too, alongside the Mahoneys as the ones with the best motive to kill Wes, since he testified against their son and they know he was somehow involved in the murder of Wallace Mahoney. Connor is a popular one, too, since he did threaten to kill Wes earlier this season and his flash forward alibi is similar to Wes' in that it doesn't specifically place him somewhere else at the time of the fire. All we're given is him arriving at the hospital and a sort of non-reaction as he finds out Wes is dead.

Michaela, Asher, Oliver, and Laurel are all pretty unlikely, since the first three hardly have any sort of motive and Laurel walked into what appears to have been a trap, since the explosion was set off as soon as she stepped foot in the house. Annalise doesn't seem like a strong contender either, especially after we see her reaction to finding Wes beneath the sheet. She did invite everyone to her house just before the fire, though, so she may be behind that aspect of the night. The answers to most "whodunnit?" questions in the show so far, though, have been "Wes dunnit," since he both killed Sam and shot Annalise, so some fans have been saying that Wes might have killed himself. Though, the question of the season has been answered in the ninth episode of every season, which this winter finale was, so the answer to this season's question still was Wes, meaning the answer to this question does not necessarily have to be.

Because the show's own creator doesn't have a clue what's happening on his own show, any clues or motives could easily be thrown out the window with the next episode. Even Alfred Enoch, the actor who plays Wes, has been getting in on the theorizing. "I do not think he killed himself. That had not even crossed my mind," he told Variety. "I guess he's got a lot of problems in his life and people who present a threat to him -- potentially Frank, potentially Charles Mahoney. He obviously matters to Annalise, so [him being killed] might not have anything to do with him." So, your guess is as good as the creator's, as good as the actor's, and as good as mine. If you've got a theory, leave a comment below!