Floridians Don't Panic About Hurricanes Because We're Experienced
News

Unraveling the mystery of Floridians' reaction to hurricanes.

33
Photo by Tim Marshall on Unsplash

I believe I've lived long enough in Florida and went through enough hurricanes and tropical storms to qualify as a Floridian.

When I was younger I used to think hurricanes were fun, you get to stay in the dark with only candlelight and flashlights and spend longer times outdoors. Sightseeing was fun too. We also got to meet people in the neighborhood that we never knew before. During difficult times is when you really get to experience that Southern hospitality.

But I've been noticing that everyone is talking about Floridians' way of dealing with hurricanes versus others'. Well, I see that our way is right!

Everyone seems to be overreacting at the news of a hurricane churning in the Atlantic, even when it's still in the middle of the ocean and days in advance of any predicted landfall! This might seem normal for non-Floridians but for us it's excessive. If you've lived long enough in Florida you will know that hurricanes are unstoppable, unpredictable and you can't tell their path until they get closer. Perhaps it's because Floridians have been through more hurricanes and tropical storms than any other state and we are usually the first to get threatened or hit by storms. Even when storms head to other states they usually at least pass by us, if not give us a quick, or not so quick, slam.

So, part of it is that we Floridians have more experience with hurricanes, which gives us a greater understanding and appreciation of them. We know the routine. Chances are we probably already have our hurricane kits ready and know exactly where the evacuation routes are, so we don't want everyone's anxiety to ruin our calm.

But the other important factor is that Floridians are more laid back than others. We're Southerners, unless you go to south Florida. We are more welcoming and chill by nature and we like to take our sweet time and drink our sweet tea! So, all y'all just chill!

Living in Orlando I noticed there's a different vibe to the people here, I guess Central Floridians don't have as much experience with hurricanes as coastal dwellers. Over here things start flying off the shelves at the first news of a hurricane heading for Florida. And I'm like 'chill, we don't even know if it's coming here!'

There's also social media to blame for people's panic. You're constantly getting alerts that update you about the storm's every turn. This creates a micro anxiety that's constantly in the background feeding at our fears and existing anxiety. While there are positives to having more information, this is another thing we have to deal with.

I no longer think hurricanes are fun but I see the positives in them. Since we can't change the inevitable, we know panic won't help. It's best to take it easy and enjoy the Southern hospitality when you can.