How Facing A Fear Helped Me

How Facing A Fear Helped Me

Face your fears, and everything else seems like no big deal.

5
How Facing A Fear Helped Me
Go To Myrtle Beach

Last week I conquered a fear that I have had for years. And when I conquered that fear, I will tell you that I have never felt stronger. For years, I have been afraid of open heights. Let me be specific about that, when I say open heights, I mean open heights. I enjoy going up high in places with rails and walls, I just don't enjoy being up high in trees and hiking mountains where there are no rails or safe flooring to grab onto. This means that rock climbing, tree climbing, zip-lining, and tree courses are usually a big no for me. That is until last week.

My family and I tend to be very busy people and always have our own schedules to attend to, so whenever we have free time and can do something together, we usually take that opportunity. So last week, my sister decided that she wanted to do a ropes course, and everyone else in my house agreed, I found myself about to be faced with a big fear of mine.

Upon arriving at the ropes course, I had dozens of thoughts running through my mind. "Do I really have to do this?", "Is this safe?", "Am I gonna fall?", "Can I do this?". These were just a few of the questions that were racing in my thoughts. It was safe to say that I was pretty nervous for the afternoon ahead of me.

Then I got all harnessed up and was ready to start climbing. My family was ready and excited but I was not. However at the end of the day, I faced my fears and ended up completing three different, and challenging, courses. I pushed myself both mentally and physically (though mostly mentally) and at the end of the day I was successful. I faced a fear that I had been dealing with for years and ended up having fun.

So why exactly am I telling you this?

Well the first thing I thought after leaving the climbing park was how good I felt. I had just accomplished a challenging series of courses, ones that tested my fears. It felt relieving and exhilarating to conquer a fear and make it into just another day.

When you are filled with fears, you become trapped. Coming from someone who suffers from anxiety and fears, I know how it feels to be trapped and stuck, consumed by terror. Just by overcoming one small fear of mine, I felt several times more powerful than I had before. It felt as if I was tougher, as if I could do more than I believed I was capable of. I could overcome one fear, why can't I do that more often?

I know that sometimes, we aren't ready to overcome our fears, sometimes we need more time to grow and prepare. I totally understand that, some things just take time. But there are always little ways we can improve ourselves. Maybe it's just doing something like trying to face your fear of open heights, or maybe trying to do public speaking, or maybe you are ready to face your fear of toxic people and you're ready to finally stand up for yourself. Whatever it is, I encourage you to try and face a fear of yours.

You will feel stronger, tougher, and greater. Facing a fear can make you feel better about yourself.

Facing a fear helped me, and it can help you too.

So go out, try new things, face your fears, you can surprise yourself.