How Dating Has Changed In The 21st Century

Ten classic dating tips we need to bring back from the past
239

With the multiple changes in technology and our society, the 21st century has changed greatly, especially with dating. The way we look at dating is so different compared to the past. Now it's filled with hooking up, only texting and just not having a meaningful relationship. It's not that you can't have a meaningful relationship if you do those things, but there are some classic styles of dating in the past we all miss and should know. Here are ten dating styles from the past that need to come back.

1. Dress up.

Whether it's your first date or you've been dating for a couple months, you should dress up when you go out for a date. You don't have to do it every time, but showing that you put effort into what your appearance shows that you truly care for the person.

2. Properly ask them to go on a date.

There are too many times when people will receive a "let's hang out" or " let's meet at XYZ place tonight" text and it will confuse the receiver. It sends mixed signals because you're not sure if the person wants it to be a date or just a friend get together. I know it can be scary, but saying "would you like to go on a date with me" will make the person you asked feel special and she/he will be more interested in going on a date with you.

3. Go on a REAL date.

Nowadays, people will consider sitting at home watching a movie versus going out on a dinner date, going on a picnic or something more meaningful. Having a relaxing night at home is great, but every now and then you need to go on a real date.

4. Introduce yourself to the parents.

When you go to pick up your date, some people will just text their date saying they're there or even worse, they'll honk they're horn. Actually go to the door and introduce yourself to their parents. The parents will respect you more and it can be a great first start to a date.

5. Open the door for them

This is easy and common etiquette, but you'd be surprised to see how many people don't do this simple gesture anymore.

6. Bring a small gift.

Showing someone that you care about them through small gifts can give you lots of extra brownie points. You don't need to do this all the time, but doing something like this every once in a while will help remind your partner how much you care about them. It can be as simple as flowers, chocolate, a hand written note, anything. Just something that shows you care without going too over the top or too cheesy.

7. Focus on them, not your phone.

Our technology has progressed so much throughout the years, but its gotten to the point that we're too addicted to it. When you're on a date, just put the phone down. There's no need to keep checking your phone, you can survive without it for a couple hours.

8. Have meaningful conversations.

Another way to show that you're interested in your date is to actually have meaningful conversations. You don't need to know every little detail about your date after the first date, but avoid the "how's the weather" talk and talk about something deeper such as personal goals in life or their childhood. Nothing too serious, but not things that you could talk about with just anyone.

9. Don't expect anything extra.

Our society today views "hooking up" as something of the norm. We all have our own opinions on hooking up, but if you are trying to be in a relationship with someone, the hooking up with random people needs to stop. Also, if you're going on a date with someone, don't just expect that he/she is willing to do things with you. As said, we all have our own opinions of hooking up so you can't always assume that you will hook up with your date after the night ends.

10. Be honest on where you stand and where you want to go in the relationship.

In the past, we were very up front on how we felt about a person. We couldn't just avoid their texts or make confusing tweets about our feelings on twitter. Although now it's a lot easier to just tweet how you feel, you need to try to avoid that and just tell them how you feel about them. It can be scary, but it's better knowing how you feel about each other and where you want the relationship to go versus being confused.

Although some of these things can seem scary since we've drawn away from them, it shouldn't be scary. If anything it should excite you. These things are the things that will help start and continue great relationships. It's great that our society is advancing, but let's not forget our morals when it comes to dating.