how college students can help fight climate change

How College Students Can Help Fight Climate Change

Here are five extremely doable things anyone can do to reduce their carbon footprint and lead a more sustainable life (from your dorm room too!)

63
Emma Kay Tocci

Climate change is a huge, larger than life, important issue. Some people feel like making any changes themselves will solve absolutely nothing, that it would take a larger, more authoritative force to really make any kind of change, and that possibility seems very far off. To this, I argue that if every person were to take tiny steps, or maybe even bigger ones, our efforts would be a part of something much larger and much more impactful.

If you're someone that's looking to decrease their carbon footprint and make a lifestyle change for yourself, or if you're already doing that and looking for something else you can do, maybe this can help you! Making yourself aware of some of the changes you can be doing is the first step, then finding what works for you and following through can feel super rewarding, especially if it benefits you in the long run, which it will! The earth will thank you.

The tips I will be mentioning in this article are some things I think are extremely doable for college students (with the limited resources we may have), as well as those that aren't away at school.

​1. Walk or bike to class rather than drive or take a bus

media.giphy.com

While carpooling and public transportation are both better options than driving itself, at most college campuses walking is something that's already a necessity. You may not even be consciously aware that you're helping the environment while doing it! I walk everywhere at school, I still don't know how to use any of our public bussing systems on campus, and I noticed after some time that it felt really good not only to not be wasting my money on gas, but not use up that gas to get me places. I do have to admit the view is great at OU, so I never minded the walk.

2. Eat less (or no!) meat

media.giphy.com

Eating vegetarian or vegan is actually one of the most impactful things a single person can do to reduce their carbon footprint. In fact, cutting red meat out of your diet alone takes off an entire quarter of your personal footprint. The first semester last year I ate vegetarian quite a bit (mainly because I didn't want to wait in line for the meat) and once I found out it was beneficial for the planet, I now try to cut meat out of at least one meal per day. If you're better than me, you can just quit cold turkey! ;)

3. ​Avoid single-use plastics (or honestly, single-use anything)

media.giphy.com

In the long run, investing in reusable cups/bags/etc. will not only save you money but will make such a difference in your waste production. Think about how many things you throw out per day. Even if you recycle something, take into account the energy it took to make the thing and now the energy to recycle it, if it even gets recycled. Choosing not to use these types of items will decrease the amount of energy and waste you personally produce and account for, will save you money, and you can go find something you like to use too! Join the reusable straw trend, and not just because it's trendy, but because you truly want to make a difference!

Speaking of recycling . . .

4. Recycle LITERALLY everything you can

media.giphy.com

When I think about how many plastic bottles there are on the planet currently and how many more will be made, it actually makes my skin crawl. Not only plastic but also glass, aluminum, paper products, etc. Recycling not only reuses the materials in a different manifestation but also cuts down on the energy used than making a totally new thing. Not to mention, you won't be taking out your trash as much because it won't be taking up so much room in the bin! (Recycling needs to be emptied much faster, but remember it's worth it!)

5. Conserve, turn off, and unplug things when not in use

media.giphy.com

I know I keep mentioning it, but cutting down the amount of energy we use per day to the bare minimum of what we need will, over time, make an enormous difference. Turning off the water while you're brushing your teeth or taking quicker showers not only conserves water, but if your water is also connected electrically, it will save energy (and your electric bill!) Before you leave to go move back in this semester, unplug and turn off EVERYTHING in your room. If nobody occupies your room when you're not at home, you don't need things to be using energy, right?

Baby steps can morph into a normal walking pace and even leaps and bounds if everyone starts to make the tiniest changes in their lifestyle. If you're already doing these things and can think of even more things like this college kids and others can do, let me know! If I receive positive feedback and people like these sustainability articles I'll post more! If you have other examples you want me to hear, reach out! Let's all fight climate change together on every front.

Time is running out to start the reversal of the damage we've already done. Even the tiniest changes made to one's everyday routine and lifestyle are big moves made in the right direction. If you start to follow these five tips, you won't make a significant dent in the climate change epidemic right away, but if you continue to live your life this way the earth will thank you, you'll notice the difference you're making every day, and it'll feel great. The best part is the more people that start making a change, the better the world will be. The advice ends here, now get out there and change the world!