How Starting College Restarted My Faith

How Starting College Restarted My Faith

It's amazing the way you can find God in people and places.

150

Going into my freshman year of college this time one year ago, I didn't know what to expect. There was so much going on; new campus, new room, new people, new classes. I remember I was most worried about making friends and whether or not I was going to be able to handle my classes. I was a ball of anxious feelings and for the first semester, I felt like I was just getting accustomed to going through the motions. I was definitely having fun and enjoyed this new phase of my life, but looking back now, I think I knew something was missing. Spring semester came up quick and I was as nervous as ever about the same things; keeping my friendships from last semester and adjusting to a new schedule. With all this new stress, the last thing I expected was to be going to church again.

Attending church on campus wasn't something that had crossed my mind. I knew it was an option; there are plenty of churches and religious groups around. I had some friends that were involved in a few different churches and I enjoyed hearing about it but I never thought it was for me. I had already done the church thing practically my entire life. Growing up Catholic, going to private schools, attending Mass twice a week in high school. At that point, I felt burnt out. I still had a relationship with God at this time an I valued it a lot, but I kept it to myself and figured it was as developed as it was going to get.

An invitation to church from my closest friend changed all that for me. The first time I stepped into the room, I felt the energy shifting. The service was everything I had been missing; an interactive, personal, lively, genuine approach to faith and God. I found myself excited to be there, especially with other students who were so committed to their faith. It was different from high school where we were all expected to have our faith life figured out, in one way or another. But Kingdom M'Powerment was different and it was refreshing to feel like I had started anew with God.

After attending this first service, weekends became exciting for me...not because I wanted to party but because I wanted to go to church! Sundays were the best day of the week; I would make it a point to get all my work done on Saturdays so I could enjoy the two-three hour service and join in for dinner afterward. After a couple of Sundays, I started to get involved in Tuesday Bible study classes as well. I hadn't actively read the Bible since probably eighth grade and though I was a little apprehensive about getting into the Bible, I ended up genuinely enjoying the lessons I was learning along with a new understanding of how to view it.

Tuesdays quickly became the best part of the school week. I had not anticipated for my faith life to have changed into something so much more fulfilling and genuine than I had previously known. I had limited myself previously in my relationship with God and I am thankful that He put the right people in my life to lead me to a new one. The camaraderie and love I hadn't realized I had been looking for but had found in Kingdom M'Powerment was the highlight of my freshman year and I am beyond excited to spend another year this way, with my favorite people.