Celebrities And Political Party Clashes Killed The News

News sources keep up with the Kardashian's, but can’t we save these articles for the tabloids?

41
Youtube | E! Entertainment

I have been feeling this way for years now yet the only person to say anything publicly about it seems to be Donald Trump. Onething he might be somewhat correct about is in criticizing the U.S. based news sources. Maybe not necessarily ‘fake news’ as he proclaims, but downright pointless news that is flooding our daily news coverage with celebrities everyday lives and the political clashing of the right versus left mentality.

So let’s talk about what pointless news that has been (and will continue to) corroding our news feed and domineering our minds. This includes, but is not limited to, celebrities and tweets. All of which Facebook, Snapchat, CNN, and Fox seem to play somewhat of a major role in the influx of tabloid journalism in all spaces of our virtual world.

I will begin with the two social media outlets that prominently feature news sources as legitimate information means to the younger generation.

Snapchat has daily news from magazines, newspapers, and online forums as their featured ‘stories’ such as DailyMail, Cosmopolitan, The New York Times, The Washington Post, People, Popular Mechanics, Food Network, Vice, Buzzfeed, etc. Facebook has always been a forum for people to share articles, ideas, etc. but recently it has become more of an article sharing site than anything else, with news sources and articles popping up like ads on my screen. Although I realize this is exactly where this post will be shared, that is not the point.

Although Facebook and Snapchat are not news sources and should not be used as such, the problem is they oftentimes are.

Regardless, it is not simply social media that is stirring up stories that should not be headlined and that should be on MTV and VH1 over our actual news broadcasts.

However, CNN and Fox have not been doing much better as legitimate news sources, especially in terms of sharing celebrity news such as tweets from the president and republican versus democrat banter.

First off, if you search on cnn.com “Kardashian” a total of sixteen articles come up on the first three pages that date back until March of this year, as I could not bring myself to look at any further pages but I am sure there are a lot more. And the articles are things like “Kim Kardashian wants another baby.” Well, no one can argue that is ‘fake news’ I suppose.

On foxnews.com the first page of the search “Kardashian” has ten articles, dating Oct. 6, 2017-Jan. 2017. There were at least seven pages that came up but again, I could not look past this first page.

And another one, on washingtonpost.com they also had ten articles on their first page of the search, with ten pages following this.

But finally, Al Jazeera came to my rescue, and this is the reason it is one of my go-to's for news coverage around the world. I found only two articles with the Kardashian name in the title and they were both opinion articles. Also, BBC only shows six articles with the name Kardashian directly in the article and four of them are not even news about them, but rather people’s opinions on them.

So if you are looking to escape from politically-charged and dividing, celebrity tabloids that are running our news coverage programs, look to world news sites such as these two, as well as Reuters, Wall Street Journal, NPR, Associated Press, and Google News.

Although I understand that news sources do this to keep up with the times and what the viewers are interested in, why can’t we save these articles for the tabloids? I am exasperated with updates and notifications on my phone from seemingly credible news sources that are telling me Khloe and Kylie Kardashian are pregnant.

Honestly, I could care less and I predict that more than 50% of the population would agree with this; but it is almost as if we are forced to care, or at least to know this information if we are following any U.S. based news sources or have social media outlets such as Snapchat or Facebook.

Also, I guarantee the reason that the younger population has somewhat of a Kardashian obsession and follow models and celebrities daily lives is due to tabloid journalism taking over social media sites and the media in general. This type of 'news' used to be available on MTV and VH1 yet it is bleeding into our national news programs and becoming part of the materialistic, consumerist culture that has plagued our nation.

Certainly, you can read my criticism of news sources these days and be skeptical but look up foxnews.com right now and, depending on the day, the main headlines on the page are another democrat and republican faceoff.

Such as from October 18, 2017 on Fox News at the home page: “Sanders slams Dem rep’s criticism of Trump call to Army widow,” “Anti-Trump anchor Cuomo calls viewer a ‘lemming’ in nasty spat,” and lastly, “Advertisers urged to boycott Remini’s show for spewing ‘lies’ about religion. It seems as though all strictly conservative or republican news sources talk about now is the clash between parties.

And then on cnn.com from October 18th as well, the headlines on the main page are “Sessions and Franken get heated at hearing.” While I know this can be very important news to some, and I am not trying to discredit it entirely, I wish there were more of the actual issues at hand.

I wish Americans could be more informed of pressing and important issues in our country and around the world rather than the ongoing debates and clash of the two parties or which Kardashian is pregnant now.

Many of the new coverage in this day and age seems to be an elaborate distraction from ‘real news.’ So maybe Trump was right about something being up with the news. I for one am tired of looking to be informed to only learn later I am uninformed and have wasted my time educating myself on things that do not matter on a grander scale.

I am annoyed that I have to search through different coverage to find unbiased, truthful facts about our country and our world.

Although I have never looked to CNN or Fox as sources of unbiased news necessarily, it seems they are strictly focused on what is going on in the U.S. such as our affairs with politics (namely right versus left discussing policies) and celebrities. As these two are not alone in their reporting style, it looks like there needs to be a change with American news coverage and their priorities.