How (And How Not) To Thank Disney Cast Members

How to make magic for those who have made magic for you.

6260
Rachel Novak

If you’ve visited Walt Disney World before, you know how dedicated the cast is to going above-and-beyond for every guest. Every guest has had a magical moment made by a cast member or at least a time where the cast served a huge help.

It’s become a trend among guests to thank cast members in more ways than just a sincere thank you. (And the cast LOVES it!!) If you’ve ever hesitated on thanking the cast is a more creative way, go for it!

Here are some fun and creative ways to thank cast members during your visit:

How To Thank The Cast

Give A Card

Thank you cards just make you feel good to give them to kind cast members who have helped make some extra magic on your vacation. Plus, it’s a wonderful way for the cast to remember guests and their interactions.

I have kept mine from my college program and keep them on my desk to remind myself of the kind guest and make myself feel better. I promise the cast member will definitely keep whatever cards you bestow upon them and will feel truly appreciated.

The Downlow:

• They feel great to give away.
  • Fun way to encourage interaction between children and the cast.
  • The cast member will be over the moon and will treasure it.
  • Wonderful if you want to thank multiple cast members
  • Here is a link to give you some ideas

Get Social With It – #CastCompliment

Now you can thank a cast member in 140 characters or less! Mention the name of the cast member and their location (example – Rachel in Frontierland merch, Alex in Splash Mountain or Yang in Sunset Blvd. merch) and say how s/he has helped you. The cast member and his/her leadership team are notified and still get the warm fuzzy feelings of a compliment.

On my last trip, I used the hashtag and had such a fun time tweeting to @WDWToday! The cast who runs the account always responded with really fun and kind comments.

BONUS – Take a photo with the cast member and post it in the tweet!

The Downlow:

• Great if you’re in a hurry and don’t want to stop by Guest Relations
  • Feature a photo of them in the tweet. That cast member will feel so famous!
  • Take A Photo With Us

Even just taking a photo with us will make us feel special and will help you remember your experience with us. It’s a great memory that will remind you of the kind and giving cast Disney parks are famous for.

The Downlow:

• We’d prefer to take a picture WITH you or members of your party. It feels a bit strange if it’s just a picture of us.
  • Even though we don’t get to keep the picture, we will definitely brag about it later to our fellow cast members.
  • Come Back And Visit

If you return to the park in which you met the cast member, come back and visit! Always ask for us in our location to see if we’re working at the moment. If not, ask to see a coordinator to jot down that you visited. S/he will be sure to let us know you dropped by. And it’ll feel amazing to that cast member!

Note – This is particularly great for resort cats members if you stay on property. The resort cast members I’ve met always brag about being able to see a family all week and ask them about their stay throughout the party’s vacation. Resort cast members, particularly merchandise cast members, LOVE seeing families throughout the week. You can even ask them about their schedule to come back and visit them at the right time.

The Downlow:

• Come back and see if we’re working if you return to the park or resort.
  • If we’re not working, let a coordinator know you visited so we’ll know you thought about us to stop by.
  • Take The Traditional Route – Give A Great Service Fanatic Card

In the old days, guests’ only outlet for recognition was at Guest Relations. It’s still available to guests, it just requires a bit more time on your part but it’s totally worth it. You get to make not just one, but TWO cast members’ days if you give a Four Keys Card at Guest Relations. The cast at Guest Relations hears complaints all day but you lucky guest gets to give them some sunshine and remind them why they’re GR cast members – to help people.

Basically, you write how amazing the cast member is on the card and how they helped you. You need their name and location. By location I mean the land/street they work on AND their line of work (ex – Frontierland merch, Sunset Blvd. custodial or Be Our Guest quick food service – lunch).

The Downlow:

• Time-consuming but worth it.
  • Great if you want to thank just one cast member
  • You bring joy to the Guest Relations cast member by bringing some positivity and sunshine to their day as well as the cast member who created a wonderful experience for you.
  • Write A Letter or Email After Your Visit

Guest letters!! If a cast member really made some serious magic on your visit, please write us a letter! The recognized cast member keeps a copy of the letter and gets to go to a special party for the cast who received guest letters! It’s truly considered an honor as a cast member to receive a letter and I’m sure it feels wonderful to write one.

Letter Address:

WDW Guest Communications
    PO Box 10,040
    Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Email Address:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

The Downlow:

• Requires more time.
  • But is so worth it because you get to make a cast member’s day and Disney will write back to you.
  • How Not To Thank The Cast

I won’t go into great detail on the how not to thank cast members because they’re pretty self-explanatory. Keep in mind, they might be self-explanatory but I’m writing these because they’ve been offered or have happened before.

Tip Cast Members Or Give Money

If the cast member accepts the money, it could probably get her or him fired. It’s a huge no-no to the cast. Instead, just give a sincere thank you or say thank you in one of the ways mentioned above.

Tell Someone Outside Our Land/Area Or Line Of Job

I’m sure the cast member in a different line of work or location is happy the cast has given you some great memories. However, s/he probably doesn’t know the cast member you’d like to thank. S/he will probably tell you to go to Guest Relations and give a Great Service Fanatic Card to thank the cast.

Give us gifts that cost money

I’m just talking about expensive gifts or any gift over $5.

Exception – Candy on a card is wonderful. A Mickey plush you bought in the park? Not so much. We have to ask our leaders and coordinators if we can keep gifts. Of course, usually it’s a yes because the gifts are usually small items like a pin or candy.

Exception – Characters – Any Disney character loves to receive gifts! They love that their story has impacted you in such a way as to brings them gifts. For example, a bow for Rapunzel (help tie up her hair) or a crayon depiction of Mickey on his birthday! Of course, keep the gifts small and appropriate.

Give Coupons To Your Business

No joke, it’s happened to me. A guest was thankful I helped her find an item and she bestowed a coupon to her bar. When we’re onstage, we’re part of the show and that means we’re working. It feels inappropriate, particularly because it has to do with money and alcoholic drinks. This is a family park, people.

And that’s a wrap! Now you have some fun ideas on how and how not to thank cast members. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to post a comment below!