How I Actually Feel About My Mom Dating Again

All I thought was "how could you do that to dad?"

393
iStock

"How can you give a gift to someone who deserves the world?" And that person is my mom. She is the most kind, loving, funny human being, yet she has been through quite a lot. Three years ago my father passed away with Lewy body dementia. It took a hard toll on my family for five years prior to his death, but my mom held us all together.

My mother and father have been married for 23 years, how can it ever be possible to lose someone who've you spent your life with and done everything with. A year after his passing, my mother tried online dating. At this point in the grief stage, I was beyond furious. All I thought was "how could you do that to dad?" I didn't want to meet the guys, I didn't want to hear about the guys, I didn't even want the guys to exit. Unfortunately, the dating didn't work out so she stopped.

At this stage in my life, I have a car, I have a ton of friends and I have a ton of school activities. I'm almost never in the house unless I'm just grabbing something real quick. Basically saying, my mom spends lots of her time alone and with our dog, Molly.

Of course, that can get boring and lonely, so she tried the online dating scene again. And this time it worked great in her favor. It took some trial and error for her to find the right guy, but she did, and I'm more than happy for her. He is the sweetest, kindest, most generous guy I've ever met. He tries to get to know my sister and I and wants to be active with us. He also cracks lots of funny jokes, which makes him a keeper.

Normally my mom goes away to see him, or he comes here to see her each weekend. This means I have a lot of free time in my house. Well first off, I'm almost never home, I'm absorbed by friends, cheerleading, work and after-school activities. It's not like she is leaving me home to be bored because I never get bored, I'm always doing something. When she goes away she stocks the fridge and always makes sure to give me spending money. She makes prior arrangements to what's going to happen with the dog, and how things will happen.

My sisters find it a little hard to believe that she goes away so much and leaves me home all alone. They think she is not being responsible and that doing this to me is wrong. The thing is they don't live under this roof, they don't know what happens to be able to call it wrong or not.

My mother has been through so much. She deserves to find someone to love her tremendously like my father did. And I think she has found a keeper.

She deserves the world. And me accepting her dating is as much of a world as I can give her. I want her to find love and have fun in her free time and spend every moment like it's her last. She deserves everything.

And I just want to say, regardless of what everyone else thinks, I 110 percent agree with her getting out into the dating world again and finding someone to cherish her.