10 Questions You'll Have After Finishing Season 6 Of 'House of Cards'

This Netflix original show leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

57

This article contains spoilers for "House of Cards."

I've been watching the Netflix original "House of Cards" for the past few months. I was hooked for the first five seasons, but season six was boring and left me unimpressed. However, the final episode left me shook and with a lot of questions.

1. What happens immediately following the final scene?

Does Claire scream, so the Secret Service rushes in and finds Doug dead? Does she explain that he tried to stab her with the letter opener so she retaliated in self-defense? Is it covered up or does she face charges? I'm just curious how she got out of that one.

2. Did the Shepherds successfully carry out Claire's assassination? 

It was planned for that day.

3. If Claire is assassinated, who becomes the next President? 

Also, is the killer caught?

4. If Claire isn't assassinated, what happens when she gives birth?

Claire faced so much backlash for being pregnant in office. Does she hire a full-time nanny to care for her baby? Does Congress continue to try and impeach her?

5. What does Claire name her baby?

In the final scene, Doug suggested Frances with an "e."

6. Why did Doug kill Frank?

I am aware why Frank had to be killed off in the show. And in the final scene, Doug explains that he did it because Frank was on his way to kill Claire. But, Doug's loyalty had always been with Frank over Claire. It just doesn't make sense that he would kill Frank in order to protect Claire.

I've heard it was because he was protecting Frank's legacy, but I'm not so sure about that.

7. Does Doug kill Janice?

When Doug leaves his apartment to go meet with Claire at the White House, the camera zooms in on his countertop, where he left a note with Janice's name on it and coordinates. I'm assuming this is where he's planning to bury her body as he did with Rachel earlier in the show.

But, the show skips to his meeting at the White House, and then the show ends. And why would he kill her — to protect Frank's legacy?

8. If Janice is killed, does another reporter pick up her story?

The story has gone through several reporters now: Zoe, Lucas, Tom and Janice — and they all were killed. Is another brave reporter at the Washington Herald going to try and complete the story, or are they just going to give it up at this point? If Janice is not killed, does she ever finish the story?

9. What happened to Tom's beloved dog?

The last we knew, Doug was taking care of it. But now Doug's dead, so.

10. How was season 6 actually supposed to go?

I am very curious where the writers were going with this show. I've read that they had already written most of the season and even filmed two episodes when they had to cut ties with Kevin Spacey. The fact that they had to completely re-write season six explains why I didn't like it and why I feel it didn't match up with the other seasons. What was actually supposed to happen?

At the conclusion of season five, I believed Claire was going to kill Frank. Would she have if circumstances were different?