Hotter Classrooms Actually Lead to Lower Test Scores: The AC's Impact on Education Gaps
News

Schools lacking the resources to afford air conditioning hurt their student's educational outcomes.

21
two young students in art class

Regardless of their other circumstances in life, school should ideally offer children physical and mental stability, as well as safety, for a good portion of each weekday. A safe, comfortable classroom environment creates a sense of well-being for young minds. When the environment contains hazards or becomes uncomfortable due to extreme temperatures, however, children may suffer from health problems or struggle academically.

While it's not something most people stop to consider, the condition of the classroom itself can have an impact on learning and well-being. Currently, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) monitors the state of the nation's classrooms, with the goal of protecting students and educators from environmental hazards.

Unfortunately, some classrooms are still under-equipped to deal with excessive heat and cold or may expose children to poor air and dangerous toxins. So how do these factors affect learning, and what can we do about them?

Classroom Environment Matters

In the United States, many parents are (understandably) extremely concerned about gun violence in response to the numerous mass shootings that take place each year. In 2018, there were 97 shootings in schools across the country, far more than in any other year. However, there may be a larger, more common concern that parents don't even know about—hazards in the classroom environment itself.

In many American schools, indoor air pollution is a huge problem, especially in low-income areas that may be more likely to have older structures and infrastructure. Lead, asbestos, formaldehyde, mold and fungi, pesticides, cleaning chemicals, and other toxins like exhaust from outside can all come into the classroom via building materials or through windows and contribute to poor air quality in classrooms.

Faulty heating and air conditioning systems, which are used to cope with hot or cold climates, can make these problems worse and cause children to develop health problems or exacerbate existing health concerns. Illness caused by the indoor environment is known as "Sick Building Syndrome" and it's a growing problem in our schools.

Why A/C Can Affect Test Scores

"Sick Building Syndrome" might be making students ill, but something even simpler can have a negative impact on their learning as well: the temperature.

Students who are too hot or too cold may not perform as well as they would in a classroom kept at a comfortable temperature. Very warm environments have a negative impact on concentration, focus, and attention span and can lead to irritability, fatigue, and even the dangerous effects of heatstroke.

While giving kids the summer off helps to keep them out of the classroom during the warmer months, certain areas of the country are naturally hotter and need to keep their air conditioning systems in good working order for hot days in the classroom.

Maintaining these systems can be expensive but doing so helps children improve academically. Kids who aren't tired and grumpy from the heat simply learn more effectively. It's as simple as that.

The Importance of a Healthy Class Environment for Kids

Kids learn best, of course, when they're in an environment that is clean, safe, and supportive. Children are more susceptible to environmental hazards and toxins than adults and are exposed to more of these toxins because of the ways they interact with the world. Exposure in the classroom can trigger new health problems, cause children to have asthma attacks, and induce symptoms like dizziness, headaches, coughing, sneezing, and fatigue.

By removing pollutants and keeping the temperature in a comfortable range, schools can help ensure a healthy class environment that encourages learning and gives each student their best opportunity to succeed. Many students have additional challenges in their home environment and may need to work especially hard to overcome their circumstances. Providing a healthy, comfortable class environment will give at-risk students better opportunities for learning and keeping up with their peers.

Making a Difference

To make a difference in student learning, health, and safety, we need to look at every aspect of their classroom experience. Helping children succeed requires a multifaceted approach. Improving classroom conditions is just one factor in closing the achievement gap, which affects a number of different groups.

Administrators need to make improving classroom conditions a priority, but they must also address other sources of inequality and provide extra support for students who are at-risk or low income. Making a difference means making school a safe and supportive place where students can go to learn, thrive, and feel secure.