Hopelessness Is Not Forever

Hopelessness Is Not Forever

Sometimes, we hit a bump in the road called life; but does that mean we cannot reach the end?

19
Hopelessness Is Not Forever
Sodanie Chea, Flickr

Recently, it seems like hopelessness is a recurring theme whenever I think about situations, whether it is in my life, the lives of the people around me, or in the world. But that does not mean all is lost. There is a way to recover, bounce back, or even move on. Here are some steps to find the silver lining in your life.

1. Breathe and calm down. This is the most basic step you can do whenever you are stressed or feeling like the end is near. Dr. Jan Philamon states that breathing is affected by your emotions, which restricts proper respiration. Taking a deep breath gives your brain time to relax and re-process your upcoming tasks. This is why exercises like yoga, which includes managing your breathing, are great for relaxation and de-stressing.

2. Take it one step at a time. Currently, I have a friend who is going through a plethora of issues, including financially, emotionally, and with his family; he honestly thought that he does not deserve anything because of these unfortunate circumstances. A lot of times, there are forces outside of our control that will majorly affects us. As much as we want our issues to vanish instantly, it does not work that way. You have to take it a step at a time, manage and plan what you can, and take it from there. The best thing you can do is take control of things you can change.

3. Know when to relax or take a break from something. Can you note hit that note during singing or band practice? Having a frustrating time trying to study for an exam? Feeling like you are not reaching your goals? Sometimes you have to learn to put it aside and relax. Endlessly doing something while no results are happening make you more upset. By relaxing your mind from a task or ongoing task for some time, you can renew your mental energy to tackle it again.

If you have played a video game of any kind before, then you know there will be that one level or boss you feel that you cannot get past; just put the game aside, resolve yourself, and pick it back up again when you know how to beat it, or at least want to try again. The boss is meant to be overcome at some point.

4. Have social support. Whatever you are struggling with, never be afraid to seek help from your peers or family. More likely than not, they will usually have the answers or solutions you are looking for. For example, I was freaking out over not getting enough community service hours to keep my scholarship; I was ready to give up until a staff member at Winthrop University's Student Activities Department said, "You don't give up." From there, she told me all sorts of ways I could help out around campus and get my hours in.

5. If you prefer resolving the problems by yourself, do some research. Following the previous step, the people you talk to may not be able to help you, or provide you with the answers you need. It is also possible that you rather do things independently without relying on others.

A common way to resolve some issues is to go online and do some research. This is particularly good if you are looking for a job/internship. You can get an account on sites such as LinkedIn, and get connected with people in your field to recommend you. Or, you can research certain job opportunities that may be available for you. If access to Internet may be a problem, ask a friend or family member, visit a community computer lab, or visit the library if possible.

When a series of bad events are happening, it is easy to get a dim view of the world or your life. But, there is always something waiting for you. You just have to get the silver lining, or wait for the opportunity. Either way, hope will always be waiting.