A College Girl's Response To The "Cover Up" Huffington Post Article

Since when was telling people to have class a bad thing?

111
Incolors Club

Recently, I came across an article where a woman, who is a grown woman, says for women to cover up at SEC football games. This article has been deleted, but Saturday Down South has retrieved screenshots of her article. Pretty much, this woman says that girls shouldn't "show up for a college football game looking like we belonged in a Victoria’s Secret fashion show." "That lucky shaker tucked into the back of your on trend boot? The team logo you’re sporting on your cheek?, The Greek letters sticker on your shirt declaring the sorority to which you belong and your loyalty to your team? All rendered classless by those ill covered curves you’ve made sure are on full display", she continues. Most girls my age are quite offended by this post, and many are shocked and outraged. Honestly, I don't understand why people are flipping out over it.

OK, sure, the woman may carry an offensive tone throughout her post, but what do you expect from an Alabama-raised woman who upholds high conservative standards? This is a woman who did not grow up in our generation. To be completely honest, I have grown up hearing the things she said-- if not worse. Though it may seem she has an attitude, she is coming from good intentions and trying to make girls aware that how they represent themselves is so important. She describes how you are wearing a team and Greek letters, which means you are representing them. When you represent other people, you need to do it in the best way possible. All this woman is saying is that having class is expected in the real world whether we want it to be or not; therefore, not dressing appropriately can have consequences. Am I saying what girls wear should matter? No, I'm saying that it does matter in real life and that expectation is not one we can change.

Next, this woman's post is said a lot nicer than how people would say it behind your back. People are judgmental and love to talk. Wouldn't it be nice to show some curves or cleavage without being called one of the "s" words? Well, it doesn't happen that way. Especially since we live in the South, class is an implicit expectation-- which is where we coin the term "southern belle." That is how her generation and generations older than mine have grown up. Simply, they're teaching us what they know in order to present ourselves as ladies. I don't personally think that girls my age should have to be highly conservative, but society to some extent does. People will judge you. We shouldn't always care about what society expects, but in areas such as the professional world (this includes college) you have rules you have to follow in order to be successful.

When you are at a college football game, you are in a place with many people-- you need to present yourself in a respectable manner. Sucks to say, this doesn't include what you find respectable. You never know who is in that mass of thousands-- it could be your future employer, husband, or anyone that may care. As a college student, you represent your university, sorority, family, etc. One day, you will represent a business or institution. She says "Most of all, I hoped you would soon wake up to embrace the ethos shared by higher learning institutions everywhere – class." She is exactly right and this extends beyond learning institutions but any institution anywhere-- any place that hires you or considers you for anything is going to expect you to conduct yourself with class. Hate it all you want, but that is just how it is. First impression is everything; every football game you attend, you are setting first impressions for thousands each time.

Personally, I've never seen anyone dress like a Victoria's Secret fashion show, but I have seen some scandalous attire at SEC football games. These outfits, I agree, should be saved for the bars or clubs rather than the games. Football games are community oriented, the bars and clubs are party oriented. You need to be respectful to those around you as well. This woman was not "slut shaming" like some people claim. Everything she said was about conducting oneself as a lady. There is a difference in telling a girl to "dress with some class" and "the way you dress looks like a slut." Stop twisting what she said because where she comes from is 100 percent real. There's a time and place for everything, and I strongly believe that applies to what you wear and when.

To the girls who dress like that to SEC football games: I'm not judging. I personally think many of you look awesome even though your clothes are revealing. I'm your age-- I get it. I love wearing clothes that make me feel confident and show a little skin too; however, I just don't dress like that to the games I go to because I want to represent my letters, family, and school well. I have to go by their expectations and opinions at times, not mine. Of course, you can go by whoever's expectations you want. You can wear whatever you want and I will not care. I'm just saying others will-- families, adults, children, etc. Those people that care might just have a part in your future-- whether it be your future employer, husband, colleague, etc. People are always watching whether you think so or not. Just be mindful that this is what the woman of that article is saying and that it is completely truthful. She's been there and she knows-- I promise you.

We all come from different places-- some of us are raised how she is, and some of us were raised different. Do not bash this woman for standing up for something she believes in. No one said anyone had to agree or disagree. If you disagree, disregard what she said and move forward. All I'm saying is that she has a point, and you can either respect that or ignore it. Otherwise, hop off of her.