Hooking Up And Shipping Up: Life At 20-Something

The dating scene isn't what it used to be.

42
Elitereaders

Life at twenty-something is really all about finding our place in this world. We're at the cusp of becoming adults, entering into the real world, but we're not quite there yet. It's hard, scary even. We're on this path of new discovery but we don't know where it leads us to.

We cling to our best friends and live up our wonder years with as much life as we can possibly fill them with. We see couples and make puking sounds towards the cuteness of their relationships. We get played over and over until finally we become the player ourselves. We find the most attractive person and try to win them over, but once we win them we leave them to go on to the next.

That's what's frightening to people our age. It's even harder for some who is loyal and trustful to everyone she meets. I know it's tough when things don't work out, believe me I've been there all to many times. It sucks but it's because its not the right person or the right place or the right time . You will find the right one, I know it seems like a lost cause right now but when you do (and you will) it's going to be pure magic. I promise.

If you're lucky enough to actually hold the ability to empathize with people and care for someone- please never lose sight of that. Relationships to the twenty-something year old seem like an impossible concept. You get to a point where you feel like you're not good enough for anyone. You watch couples go by and envy the compassion they hold towards each other. You have a whole conversation about trust with someone who you could potentially see yourself with, just to find they're hooking up with someone else. It hurts more than anything but all you really can do is move forward. Its hard not to dwell on it, especially at twenty-something when you feel like the last single person on the planet.

It's the circle of our wonder years. All we can do is live them up as best as we can. Enjoy it while it lasts. Do we know what we're doing? Mostly not, but work as hard as you can towards your goals everyday. I know it may seem like life is a trap of everything spiraling out of control, but if you keep going things will fall into place.

Don't try to feel for things if they're not there. Don't go into overdrive when the person you like doesn't text you back. It's not worth it. What is worth it is pushing for your goals and reaching for the stars. The world is spinning, changing the stars we chart in the sky. We're just trying to figure ourselves out. Don't hold back, do what you love and eventually things will all fall into place. Keep your best friends close and reach for the stars. Never let anyone get in your way of chasing your dreams.