Hookup Culture is Not for me

Why Are We so Hooked?

It's a personal choice, but it's one I feel strongly about

66
Why Are We so Hooked?
https://pixabay.com/en/photos/bokeh/

Coming back to college always reminds me of the little things that irritate me about the modern world.

Yes, I realize I probably sound like everybody's jaded grandmother but, what can I say? I've always been told I have an old soul.

And some of these are probably just a result of that. For example, it bothers me that so few people still take notes with pen and paper. Even fewer truly understand the joy of a brand new, tangible book. It's become strange to actually show an interest in the subject matter, to actually do the homework every night and maybe even have a little outside knowledge on the topic.

Maybe I'm just a nerd.

But then there's the realm of social matters that bother me.

People hold the doors for one another but rarely thank one another. Trash floats around for somebody else to pick up (if you're one of those people that leaves popcorn buckets behind in the movie theaters, I have probably picked up your trash for you at some point because I can't stand that). Few people still get together for group dinners anymore and those that do, including myself, spend most of that time on their phones.

Romantic relationships have fallen into the pattern of meeting, talking, having the casual date, and maybe lasting a few months before somebody ultimately gets bored and moves on. If this doesn't work, the majority seem to automatically default to the alternate pattern of meeting a new person, talking for a very brief amount of time, having casual sex, and moving on like nothing happened.

Maybe it's my religious beliefs. Maybe it's the way I was raised. Maybe it's my own experience with a long-term, long-distance relationship throughout my college experience thus far, but I don't agree with hookup culture for many reasons.

For one, the word "hook". This is going to sound absurd and maybe even picky but just stick with me for a second, okay?

When I hear the word "hook", I think about multiple things. I think about addiction. You become "hooked" on things and you can't stop, you can't let go for fear of what will happen if you stop. Letting go of the thing that you are hooked on causes dangerous symptoms of withdrawal. I've never wanted that absolute dependence out of any relationship. Yes, it is nice to be able to count on someone to be there for you but you have to understand that sometimes, whether it's well-intending or not, people can't and won't always be there for you when it comes to romantic and even platonic relationships.

You're human and so are they, end of discussion.

I also think of the phrase "hook, line, and sinker", meaning to trick someone. Maybe it's just me, but that's not something I want in a romantic relationship. I don't want lies, I don't want deceit, I don't want to be the fool. I want to trust the person that I'm dating.

I want to maintain my independence, as I mentioned before, but I want to know that the trust I give away will be honored. To me, that is not only being a mature adult but being dedicated to the relationship.

If I'm giving my own emotional vulnerability like that, I want to know that it's a risk worth taking.

Secondly, what are we trying to say with hookup culture?

Are we trying to say that using other people for personal gain is okay? Think about that in other contexts. Consider how this would translate into a work environment, using other people to make money. In a social context, using other people to advance your social status in the world.

Using and abusing other people and their own rights and happiness just so you can be happy for a little while.

I don't agree with using people like that, in any context. Everyone, whether it seems to be true or not, feels things. We feel them at different levels and in different ways but nobody likes to feel used.

I feel things at a strong level because I'm a very emotional and very shy person. I always have been.

Yes, I was that kid that cried when the teacher got onto the class...up until about fifth grade. Go ahead and laugh, I've had time to come to terms with it and accept it as part of who I am and always will be.

Thank God I've finally learned to control those emotions as a, still highly sensitive, twenty-year-old woman.

With that being said, I couldn't hide my emotions even if I wanted to. I can mask anger and disappointment in a professional setting but I will never be capable of hiding sadness and hurt in a social setting. It's just not in my nature.

I'm still very shy at times and that alone throws an obstacle in the path of whatever crazy notion would make me have the desire to become involved in the hookup culture. Even if I could get past that, I can't throw my emotions on the line like that. If I have learned anything in my life about being a sensitive person it's that wearing your heart on your sleeve, especially when you can't help it, can be dangerous.

Some people zero in on this feature and they will play you. They will use you and ignore the pain that they've caused.

I enter a relationship (romantic and platonic) with the full intention of being a thoughtful, caring, and trustworthy person. I just don't see the point in putting effort into a relationship like that. I don't see the point in giving so much of your time and effort to another person that you may never see again.

There are many other reasons that I just don't agree with the hookup cultures but they all point to one thing: it's not how I define a relationship.

To me, a relationship should be between three people: the two in the relationship and God. Again, that's how I see it and that's how I will choose to direct my own choices in all of my relationships.

So far, this has worked really well for me. I have a loving system of close friends that I can depend on when I need a shoulder to cry on, a family that is always there for me when I need a hug, and a boyfriend that I can trust with the abundance of feelings that will always be a part of who I am.

I know I can't change the hookup culture and I truly do not wish to shame anyone that chooses to participate in it. Ultimately, it is a personal decision and I respect the ability to make your own choices as a young adult on a college campus. Soon enough we will all be adults making our own choices in the "real world" in ways that affect everyone else. I just hope that we learn enough about the way our actions affect one another now so that we can avoid lasting harm in the future.

It's all a personal choice. For me, the best decision is to refrain from participating in the hookup culture and enjoy the love that I can both give and receive from the commitment of a relationship, in the most traditional sense of the term.

You do your thing and I'll do mine.