Hoodie Allen: The Hype World Tour

Hoodie Allen: The Hype World Tour

Photos and review of Hoodie Allen's show at The Marquee in Tempe with Luke Christopher and Myles Parrish.

38
Hoodie Allen: The Hype World Tour
Jessica Wear

If I could only use one word to describe the Hoodie Mob it would be dedicated.

People started lining up outside the venue at 4 a.m. I don't remember the last time I would have voluntarily woken up at 4 a.m. for anything. The entire night just felt like one big party that no one ever wanted to end. Hoodie played an extended two-hour set full of fan requests and impromptu cover songs.

There were balloons, confetti explosions that reached all the way to the balcony of the venue, and cannons that shot out fake money into the crowd.

Myles Parrish

Myles Parrish, a 25-year-old rapper from California, kicked off the show. After getting his start as part of a duo on youtube, he went solo in early 2016 and has been releasing music under his own name since then.

He set a crazy energetic tone for the show, constantly bouncing across the stage with a genuine smile that basically never left his face. His lyrically upbeat songs put everyone in a good mood and had the whole crowd dancing.

Luke Christopher

Luke Christopher, a 24-year-old musician from Los Angeles who has been making and releasing music since high school, was up next. He just released his first full-length studio album in early 2017. His whole set had a more laid-back R&B vibe to it that the audience was loving.

People were just closing their eyes and swaying to the music or melodically reciting every word along with Luke. After I took some photos, I went back into the crowd and enjoyed the music along with the rest of them.

On top of his ability to switch effortlessly between rapping and singing, he is also a writer and a producer. What can't this guy do?

Hoodie Allen

Hoodie opened strong, with four high energy tracks, hardly breaking for a transition from one to the next. The whole band just looked like they really were enjoying the crowd and being on stage, and the crowd had an insane energy.

So they decided the set would be extended to two hours and spent most of the night playing whatever the audience requested their favorite songs and a few random cover songs.

There were a couple of instances where the crowd would request a song and just start singing it in unison before the band even had a chance to start the song. Hoodie even hopped off the stage and walked around sharing the mic with audience members who knew the words. In true Hoodie fashion, the night was extremely fan-focused.

So, I've been to see Hoodie in concert at least five or six times and each one just kept getting better. The sense of community never falters. He starts every night at the merch table, selling some goodies and signing autographs before the show even starts, and ends it hanging out and taking photos with fans after his set. He's an independent artist that makes music and tours around the world because he just truly enjoys doing it.

His Most recent album, "The Hype," was just released at the end of September and, trust me, the music lives up to the name.

Shameless plug: Go request the album's single "Ain't Ready" to your local radio station.