Honor Winds Camp Enriches District

Honor Winds Camp Enriches District

Honor Winds summer camp delights music lovers and students
20

What does the word community mean to you? To the Las Vegas Honor Winds summer camp, it means musicians coming together from schools all around the Clark County School District to devote entire days of their summer to making music.

The Honor Winds is branched off the professional music ensemble known as the Desert Winds in Las Vegas. The Desert Winds includes many local educators, freelance musicians, and students.

This year, the Desert Winds decided to create the first ever Honor Winds summer music camp, devoted to enriching students' education and musical performances. Artistic director Dr. Charles Macguire oversaw the entire production.

High school musicians already have a very tight summer schedule, with band camp starting around 2 to 3 weeks before school begins as well daily lessons and music classes during summer, not to mention the fact that the CCSD summer was shorted by two weeks this year. However, these musicians agreed to give up even more of their summer to work together.

On Wednesday the 19th, around 90 students selected to be in the group met each other for the first time, having played with very few of these students before. The musicians quickly mingled, meeting kids from all over the district.

The students were seated and warming up on their instruments well before it was time to start, already proving the efficiency that would be prominent in the coming days.

With just three days to start and perfect the music before the concert on Saturday the 22nd at the Las Vegas Academy, guest conductors John Seaton and Phil Haines quickly got to work with the teenagers, rehearsing for hours straight each day.

The students were given a special opportunity to prepare music for master classes with advanced teachers of each instrument, as seen below. The teachers were overjoyed to see how well the musicians were progressing in the little amount of time they were given as well as hearing their individually-prepared pieces.

The concert program included Summer Dances by Brian Balmages, the first three movements of First Suite in E Flat by Gustav Holst, Sanctuary by Frank Ticheli, and Danzon No. 2 by Samuel Alder, all college-level music.

This inaugural Honor Winds ensemble impressed the directors so much that the possibility of a year-round group is in discussion. Congratulation to all Honor Winds participants!

Faculty

Artistic Director: Charles Macguire | Guest Conductors: John Seaton & Phil Haines

Camp Director: David Gieseler | Camp Logistics: Stephen Turner

Librarian: Sheryl Anne Gamiao

Flute: Dr. Carmella Cao | Horn: Alina Eckersley

Oboe: Sharon Nakama | Trumpet: Angela Berens

Bassoon: Brock Norred | Trombone: Hitomi Shoji

Clarinet: Vincent Camuglia | Euphonium: Brad Bradley

Saxophone: John Seaton | Tuba: Dr. Greg McCracken

Percussion: Marianne Brown