If We Were Honest On Social Media

If We Were Honest On Social Media

What we actually think while using Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

As an avid user of an array of social media platforms, here are my thoughts on the most popular four- in order from best to worst.

Snapchat.

Pro: Snapchat is awesome. Streaks are a great way to force you and a friend to keep in touch, no matter how busy or far away you are. Also, I'm a sucker for the Cosmopolitan and Buzzfeed Snapchat stories, I'm not gonna lie.

Some people feel the need to watch all the stories to clear the notification; I am not one of those people. Also, why is the Snapchat camera a thousand times better than the Camera app? LMK.

Con: If your crush doesn't see your story where you look bangin' in the 24 hours it's available, oh well.
I'll be the one to say it: some Snapchat filters are absolutely ridiculous, and I'm not talking about the dog filter. I'm talking like puking rainbows and ugly ones like that. Why, just why?
Also, can we bring back Snapchat best friends? All these emojis are getting confusing.

If we were honest on Snapchat: I'm posting stories to make it look like a have a life, while trying to dodge Snaps from people I don't want to talk to.

Twitter.

Twitter is where you can completely be yourself, and Tweet and Retweet anything you want. There are so many funny accounts to follow. The Dory account for example (as in Dory from Finding Nemo, although unaffiliated with the film), Tweeted this last summer: "I love Twitter because everyone is real af. Instagram is like 'look how great my life is' while Twitter's like, 'I want to die, here's a meme.'" Twitter is the place where beautiful things like this happen:

Pro: I don't know how else to say this, but Twitter is a gift to the world. Twitter conversations, threads, memes, and Vines are hilarious. Plus, hashtags are super powerful, whether it be a new trend (ex. #WasteHisTime, #ExplainAFilmPlotBadly), the world watching something live together, like the Olympics or the Oscars, or a political movement (remember #ICantBreathe?).

Con: There are a ton of parody accounts to watch out for, stolen Tweets, and promoted Tweets and advertisements that can clog up your Timeline. Other than that, it only sucks when someone with a private account gets into an argument with someone you follow, so you can only see half the argument. Twitter wars are the best. Someone grab the popcorn.

If we were honest on Twitter: we are.

Instagram.

Pro: You can flaunt how awesome your outfit, hair, etc. looks today, as well as where you're traveling, who you're hanging out with, and whatever else you deem necessary to fit your "Instagram theme/aesthetic."

Con: You can easily spend literally hours looking at Instagram models and crying while hating your body. Everyone makes their lives look way cooler on Instagram than they do in real life, and it's easy to forget how fake it is. Thus, finstas!

Also, Instagram stories are dumb and SUCH a ripoff of Snapchat. You should be ashamed of yourself, Instagram. I'm not going to stop using you, but I'm not going to post an Instagram story #sorrynotsorry. And if I get ONE MORE notification saying someone started a live video, I'm going to scream.

Also, why isn't Instagram in chronological order anymore? AND, if I'm scrolling on Instagram and then I get another notification, like a Snapchat, and I go open it and respond to it, when I click back to the Instagram app, it's automatically back at the top. This is super annoying because I have to scroll all the way back down to where I was, and sometimes I forget and get all confused. Please fix this ASAP.

If we were honest on Instagram: I'm trying very hard to make myself look good and my life look awesome. It took a hundred photos, a ton of time editing and choosing a filter, and another decade to write a witty caption, to make a post at "prime Instagram like time" and track my likes religiously.

Facebook.

Pro: It is, in my opinion, the best way to stalk someone, or for a better word, investigate. You met a cute guy at a party last night and only have his first name and the college he attends? With a quick Facebook search, you can find him in no time, as well as the pictures of the family fishing trip he took in 2010. Facebook is amazing, really. If people don't delete old, embarrassing pictures, or pictures with exes, you can find all the information you need.

Con: Your entire family, including grandma, is on Facebook. Also, everyone has that friend who posts 600 photos a month to Facebook, and tag you in the ugliest pictures. And, in my opinion, the new options besides Like, including Haha and Angry, are unnecessary. Also, why does Facebook poking even exist? LMK.

If we were honest on Facebook: It may look like I have my life together, but I definitely do not.