Why You Should Maintain Your Best High School Friendships

Hometown BFF's, Now From Different States...

From Connecticut, to Maryland, to Rhode Island, and back

31
Maggie Lyons

It's truly crazy how drastically your life can change in a matter of days. One day you are sitting around a huge bonfire with your summer group reminiscing on endless car rides, trips down Velvet Street (if you know, you know), sleepovers, doing stupid things, and going to the beach at midnight… and the next you are living in a different state with people you have yet to meet. It is a crazy feeling. A ton of good has come from college - and I have hope that the second semester will be even better - but the change in your life causes changes far beyond moving into a dorm room.

After spending every day with these people around this bonfire, you begin to realize your drives to laugh, cry, have the occasional mental breakdown, Dunkin' runs, deep chats, and nights spent filling your best friend in on everything in your life are about to change for good. And it is hard to really understand how you will stay so close with someone so far away.

But, the best of friends prevail, nonetheless.

I met my best friend during my Junior year of high school. I have many who I consider my besties, but me and her clicked like sisters. It is cheesy, for sure, but I am not sure how else to describe it. Leaving a toxic friend group and finding more genuine people who would soon make our summer one we could never forget drew us so close. Having that person to text about any random thing, pick up at any point in the day, and be completely honest and genuine with advice and conversations is something I wish everyone can have.

Although I am up for making new friends and experiencing new things in this new place, as I always have been, it is hard to imagine how anyone could become so close to me, granted all that we have been through these past few years.

I have realized this past semester, more than ever, that these friends are the kind you must hold on to. Such genuine friendships, like the one I share with my best friend, do not come along so often in life. There are friendships to be made at every turn - especially in college - but ones built up by experience, years of growth, and happiness is ones that should be held forever.

Learning to make the extra effort, to make it work, is important.

Extra FaceTime calls, texts to make you laugh (and the occasional text war, when your thoughts are lost in translation), and plans to visit one another or fill breaks with more fun will keep your friendship in good shape. And when you are home, going back to your same old ways will help you reminisce and make you happy to be home.

When you get home from college, it is a strange thing how people gravitate toward the closest people they left off with - so find your people, especially your person, and keep friendships alive that is worth keeping. Just because your life is changing and you are in a new chapter does not mean you are supposed to give up something you had that was so great.

Make new friends, but surely keep the old.