How to Manage a Water Well in Your Back Yard

A water well in your backyard may be a great investment but you need to know how to maintain it if you want to get the most out of it.

4

Installing a well in your backyard can be an excellent investment, but that type of project will require quite a bit of planning as well as ongoing maintenance. Luckily, with a little bit of hard work and some professional assistance, your new well should run smoothly for many years to come.

Check Local Ordinances

While it is legal to drill a water well in most residential locations, you should still take a close look at your local laws. Drilling without the proper permits could result in quite a few fines that end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars. You will also need to contact all of the local utility companies to ensure that there are no buried cables or lines in your backyard.

Contact a Contractor

The next step in this process is contacting a licensed and reputable contractor who has quite a bit of experience with this type of project. Drilling the well itself is just one of the many steps that will need to be carried out, and you need to work with a company that can help you with each task. That includes initial site prep, drilling, installation of pipes, and setting up the water well pumps.

Keep an Eye Out for Contaminants

After the well has been drilled and all of the hardware has been installed, you must then be very mindful of any contaminants that could get into your water. Contaminants in the aquifer are important to keep an eye on, but there could be toxins on your property as well. It is vital that you and your family never use any herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, or other chemicals around the well site or pump.

Schedule Annual Inspections

A well-maintained water well should last for quite a few years, but that system could still break down at any time. That is just one of the many reasons why a professional contractor should carefully inspect the system at least once every 12 months. During those inspections, they can take a look at the water well pump and all of the water lines leading into your home.

In addition to these few tips and tricks, it is also vital that you keep a close eye on the quality of your water. If you notice that the water looks or smells unusual, then you should immediately stop using it and contact a licensed water well contractor to have the entire system inspected.