Homecoming Part 2

Homecoming Part 2

Dreams are the mysteries of life.

32
Homecoming Part 2

It was easy to follow the path in front of me when every time I deviated the wolf would nudge me back on path. I felt bad not knowing if it was male or female and only addressing it as the Wolf or Mr. Wolf might not be appropriate. The journey from the beach through the woods did not take as long as I thought it might and soon enough I was walking into what looked like a city.

As I made my way through the path that the wolf was leading me I did not, at first, realize that I had been running my hands through the black fur. It was soft to the touch and reminded me of a moment of the puppy that I had wanted to adopt but the one my father refused to allow.

I am so confused. I first arrived on a beach, walked through dense woods with trees as tall as the heavens, and now I was standing at the vast expanse of a city before me. I paused a moment to soak it all in. There are stalls selling vegetables, flowers, fruits, silks, and linens. It was hard to discern any one smell above another. They all blended together to create an unusual combination. It was familiar to me, and I could not place why. There also appeared to be an apothecary. I was only guessing because the sign hanging from the building was in a language I could not read, but the symbols looked like they might be for that. The building was stone and looked very much like the stories of Wizard's Towers I had read in fantasy books.

Each stall is wooden and aged and yet appeared to be in perfect condition. It was as if time itself froze around each object. Casting my eyes to the right, I noticed the stalls on this side held goods for food and other means. On the left is clothing, fabrics and everything else. The path that I had been following lead down the center of the markets and towards a set of large wrought iron gates. People were milling around the market, talking, shopping and just being whoever they were. If I had to guess at the time frame, these people were exhibiting my mind would say that of the Renaissance. Their clothing style varied from person to person as did the looks of each but there was a unified theme of the medieval peasantry. They did not appear to be poor in their fabric choices. If they noticed me, they were ignoring me completely, as if a person gawking at them was not an unusual occurrence.

I felt a nudge at my ankles again and noticed that the wolf was trying to propel me forwards towards the gate. I allowed myself to move towards the path and saw the people in the market watching me now. I glanced at a few of the faces, trying to see if they would inadvertently give me clues about what was going on. I saw nothing out of place. Not a smile, or a scowl. Instead, I saw acceptance, and then eyes lowered, and heads bowed. I was so confused.

Every time I tried to stop and ask them a question the wolf would press me forward. It was clear that I was meant to go to the gates but why? The closer I drew to the gates the more beyond them I could see. Standing at the top of the hill, looking down upon my path was a giant castle. Well, giant to me considering I had never personally seen a castle before. As I reached the gate, it swung open for me, and the wolf continued to prod me beyond the gates.

As soon as I crossed the threshold, I could hear the iron slamming shut behind me. My nerves were finally starting to get the better of me. My mind was trying to convince that this was both a dream and reality simultaneously. I did not yet know what was going on or where I was being led, but I would follow and seek answers. Taking a deep, steadying breath, I continued to walk. My feet were starting to hurt, and I was growing tired. I had not eaten, nor drank anything since my arrival but only now was my body reacting to everything that had happened. Before I rose a staircase that would lead to the front steps, and I could see guards standing before the main entrance doors.

Slowly I continued my trek, and soon enough I was standing before the guards. I looked at each one of them as they stared back at me. They did not look like the knights you might imagine from the medieval tales. These were men, both clearing well over six feet in height and they had stern features. Their bodies were covered in leather and chainmail, and I had no doubt they had more weapons hidden upon themselves than the ones they current displayed.

The guards bowed their heads to me and moved aside to allow me entrance. Moving forwards, I walked through the door into the castle and felt a strange sense of home. I had a chance to look around. The foyer that I went into was pristine and neat, swept and free of dust. Straight ahead was a staircase that split into two as you approached. I felt like I k new this place. I was quite sure that if I went up and to the right, I'd reach the bedrooms and sitting rooms, and if I went up and to the left, I'd find the library and study. On the top, the most floor would be the suite for the king or ruler or whoever lived here.

Blinking I tried to figure out in my mind where I knew this place from. How I knew this place. I turned around to try to regain my bearings and where the wolf had been there now stood a man. Dark onyx black hair that fell over amber colored eyes stared at me. I saw him glance to the left of the stairs, a path that was little used. Why did I know that this would lead to the dungeons below the castle? Why did I feel the pull to go there and find out what was waiting for me?