Finding A Home Away From Home

Finding A Home Away From Home

I almost talked myself out of the best decision of my life.
4

After three years in college, I finally decided to join a sorority. I can't say that the stereotypical things didn't come to mind, like, "Am I the sorority girl type? Don't I have to be blonde or skinny to be a sorority girl?" These type of things almost talked me out of the best decision I could've made for myself. I really wanted to join a sorority to make friends and have some excitement in my life, but what I have received is so much greater. I have received love from a group of girls who genuinely care for me. They are becoming my best friends. They are always excited and so encouraging. I can't remember the last time that a girl friend of mine hug my neck and tell me they are happy to see me. Every time I run into one of my sorority sisters, they hug me. I can't believe that I almost talked myself out of rushing.

I have tons of friends that don't understand the significance of sorority life and they make snide comments about it. I am here to tell you that those sorority movies are not accurate. Those actions of drinking and get wasted and making stupid decisions can happen to anyone, not just sorority girls. Each and every human being alive makes their own decisions. If you choose to drink a beer and I don't, then your actions don't affect me. You are responsible for you. I'm not partaking in your actions, so it's not my problem. The stereotypical comments about sorority life really push my buttons. Being in a sorority is more than parties or movie nights. Sorority life is about encouraging one another. It's about knowing that you'll have someone to study with until 3 am. It's about having sisters to be your home away from home. It's not just for a season. It's for a life time.

Keeping an open mind and having a positive out look on everything has really shaped my personality for the better. I look for the good in the times that seem to be the worst. If I would have never found my sorority family, I would be miserable. It's so heartwarming knowing that I have a home away from home. I feel so blessed to be a part of Kappa Delta. I know I have friendships and sisters that will never stray far away.