Holy Fudge Nuggets, It's Finally Christmas

A break from my regularly programmed open letter.
116

Joyeux Noël

Frohe Weihnachten

Nollaig Shona Dhuit

Buon Natale

Feliz Navidad

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

We've made it. We've finally made it. As a Christmas addict, I have counted down the moments until this blessed moment has arrived. I try to keep my Christmas subdued for a chunk of the year, at least for the sake of those around me, but, as soon as Thanksgiving is over, it's time to get holly jolly.

Decorate the house (or dorm), pump up the carols, and break out the wrapping paper because now it's almost two straight months that are filled with the spirit of joy and giving. I would like to consider myself a Christmas expert or, at least, not a Christmas novice. Here is my advice to make sure that this Christmas season is holly and jolly.

1. Christmas Carols are always a jam, and Movies are a MUST.

I'm a huge supporter of Christmas carols year-round, but I know that isn't realistic. I think it's more than fair to jam to carols the moment Thanksgiving is over. All songs are good. You can go sad with "Christmas Shoes," silly with "Dominick the Donkey," or classic with "The Christmas Song."

They're all good. Rock on without fear of judgment. Don't let Christmas movies go the wayside. Movies like "Elf," "Home Alone," "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas," and more are all cinematic masterpieces. Similar to the carols, there are movies for all types of moods, and there's just something about curling up with hot cocoa and getting into the Christmas spirit.

2. Season of Giving.

Remember that, while getting gifts is fun, it's just as important to give. There are many people who aren't as fortunate as you, and, no matter what you give, you could make the season for someone. It also is important to remember that, even if you don't have lots of money, gifts can be given from the heart, and they're worth just as much, if not more.

3. "Candy, Candy Cane, Candy Corns, and Sugar."

It's a given that caloric temptations increase around the holidays, and, with all the eggnog and peppermint and Christmas feasts, who is really surprised? Here's the thing: most people's New Years' resolutions are to be healthier in one way or another, so my philosophy is it'll all be worked off then. Don't be so strict on yourself around the holidays because it's a time to let loose and just have a good time. You may gain a pound or two, but you won't gain tons after a few weeks of guilty pleasure eating.

4. Decorate BEFORE it's too late.

Lights, ornaments, trees, OH MY!! I wish that decorations could be year-round, but that's generally frowned upon. I feel like there should be a scientific study about the effects of Christmas spirit on your mood because I think that it makes you 102340934% happier, or, at least, that's what it does to me. There's no such thing as too much or too little. A little bit goes a long way to brighten your day, and it will keep your spirit alive all season long.

5. Don't be a Grinch.

Christmas lovers have waited patiently, more or less, all year for our time to shine. Even if Christmas isn't really your time, you don't have to go around being a Debbie downer all the time. This time of year is a magical season for kids and old folk alike, and your negativity isn't necessary. Sure, Christmas has become commercialized. Sure, we often forget the true meaning of the holiday. And, sure, the stores and commercials can get a bit crazy. BUT, it's all in good fun. So, don't ruin the magic. Go bah-humbug in the corner.

Have a blessed holiday season, and stay very Merry!!