Six Holidays to put on your calendar

Holidays That Need More Recognition: October Edition

A continuation from the September edition!

81

Welcome to Round two of the unpopular holiday post! This month is October, and while most people will be prepping costumes for a Halloween party, or to go out trick-or-treating, you could be celebrating your inner grouch, considering mental health, or crunching down on a savory taco! The following holidays appeal to many audiences, and celebrate the variety in each of us. With the holidays ranging from national to international, there's a lot to enjoy here! These six holidays are marked down on my calendar, will they be on yours? Read on for the six holidays you probably haven't heard of yet!

National Day of Nonviolence-The 2nd

Business Punch

https://www.pexels.com/photo/men-s-black-blazer-652348/

A world without violence would be an amazing one. The world would have to be perfect, as violence comes out of conflict, and conflict comes from out imperfections. Since our world is not perfect, violence is a real issue that many have to deal with daily. It's in movies, in real life, and even at home with family. If you have the temptation to scratch at your sister, sap your brother, or punish the antagonist of your story, remember that violence often just brings about more bitterness, anger, and of course, violence. So call out a cease-fire on the second, and see how it impacts the day's life. Take it as the first step to being less violent, not just the one day where you put a pause on fighting.

National Crunchy Taco Day-4th

Tacos in ceramic bowl

https://www.pexels.com/photo/three-tacos-on-black-and-white-ceramic-bowl-674578/

This day has sadly already passed, but the fourth of October actually holds some pretty sweet deals! Mark your calendars and check out next years great deals from places like Rubio's Coastal Grill, Moe's Southwest Grill, and Taco Bell! This year's deals included buy 2 get 1 free deals, or five tacos for five bucks! As a Taco Bell enthusiast, any day to celebrate the dish is a good day to me! Mark in your calendars, and get ready to celebrate this uncommon holiday!

World Mental Health Day-10th

Tablets spell out 'Health'

https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-and-blue-health-pill-and-tablet-letter-cutout-on-yellow-surface-806427/

Mental health is just as important as physical health. Many people are put off by the thought of mental illnesses, as it is immediately correlated with insanity and asylums. However, there are all types of mental illnesses, including anxiety and depression. Over 40 million adults suffer from anxiety, and often, depression is diagnosed alongside it. Check out the ADAA's webpage about it with this link! Making this day more popular is really important, as mental wellness is vital to the physical wellness and happiness of others.

National Grouch Day-15th 

Grouch Day

media.giphy.com

This day is just for fun! Celebrate by complaining, or dressing up as Oscar from Sesame Street. Throw a Grouch party and celebrate the Grouchy's way of living. I'm sure there's a million ways this day could be celebrated, but just remember to make sure no one's feelings are getting hurt! If you're an everyday grouch, be on the lookout for my upcoming article, "5 Tips For A More Positive Day" Have fun being grouchy on the 15th, but remember to be kind and positive for the 16th! Being a grouch can be fun, but you shouldn't get so caught up in it that you ignore happiness completely.

National Day of Writing-20th

Typewriter

https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-typing-on-typewriter-958164/

Just ten days from the first day of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), the National Day of Writing is a great warm-up/brainstorming day. I love writing fiction, so take a guess what I'll be doing that day! Writing is a really great way to express yourself creatively, and let loose any pent-up feelings you may be having. With different outlets, genres, and styles, you're sure to find one that will fit you. Consider novels, short stories, songs, poems, novellas, or consider writing instrumental music if that's in your niche. I encourage everyone to take the 20th as a day of writing. Spend time venting, or drafting some creative plot twists. The possibilities are really endless!

National Apple Day-21st 

Apple hanging off its tree

https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-of-fruits-hanging-on-tree-257840/

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away!" This popular saying may not be entirely accurate, but apples are very good for you, and can be prepared in many creative ways! Mark your calendars and pull out your cookbooks, the apples won't be ignored! This unpopular day needs more recognition, so go ahead and celebrate with us. While I'm actually allergic to apples, I probably will not be joining in the festivities, but bite into a nice, cold crispy one for me!

Have fun celebrating these underappreciated holidays, and remember the reason for them! Whether you're celebrating nonviolence or your inner grouch, remember that there's more to October than just Halloween! Take a mental note of these and come celebrate with me! Small celebrations like these are also good for your mental health, as it helps you to slow down and take a more focused view of life, celebrating nothing and everything. Also be on the lookout for next month's unpopular holiday's list!