10 holidays to mark in your calendar

Holidays That Need More Recognition: November Edition!

Not Just Turkey Month Anymore!

184

Here's another list of underappreciated holidays! This time we're looking into November, a month dominated by the thought of Thanksgiving and Veteran's day. However, there are many more holidays that go under the radar throughout the month! Here's this month's top ten! Use these reasons to celebrate, and help others!

National Chicken Lady day -Nov. 4

This holiday sounds pretty food-centered, so I was a little confused when I saw it was categorized under 'Cause,' instead of food. It turns out it was started in honor of Dr. Tina Dupree's efforts in boosting raising the bar around learning and education. "For the past 20 years, Dr. Dupree has helped, inspired, and encouraged thousands of people to live their dreams, achieve their goals, and improve their lives by investing in themselves" (WE For Women Magazine). Read more about her here: https://wemagazineforwomen.com/today-is-national-chicken-lady-day/

World Kindness Day -Nov. 13

Support

https://www.pexels.com/photo/four-people-walking-while-holding-each-others-arms-1282267/

In a world full of suffering and heartache, a day set aside to be kind to one another is a gem to be protected. This day is a day to go out of your way to do something nice, something special for someone else. Everyone needs kindness, and everyone is going through stuff. Use this holiday to be there for someone. Be happy that you were able to positively influence somebody's day! For some good ideas about what to do, check out this site: https://www.naturalbeachliving.com/acts-of-kindness/

International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day -Nov. 17, in 2018

Banding Together

https://www.pexels.com/photo/ground-group-growth-hands-461049/

This holiday is both a holiday of remembering, and a holiday of healing. It's a time to remember the lives of loved ones who committed suicide, and also a time when people afflicted by this kind of loss get to tell stories of their grief journey, and heal together, surrounded by people who understand what they're going through. "Survivor Day is the one day a year when people affected by suicide loss gather around the world at events in their local communities to find comfort and gain understanding as they share stories of healing and hope." International Survivors of Suicide loss day is a day to be sensitive to others and be there for someone you know. It's also a time to be there for someone who may be showing inclinations toward suicide, and prevent the loss of a life.

National Princess Day -Nov. 18

Princess dresses

https://www.pexels.com/photo/assorted-color-floral-clothes-1057313/

National Princess Day is a day when all little girls (and big girls, too) can release their inner princess! Princesses are more than just a dress and a tiara. They are kind, brave, and selfless, all things that we could be. The more we exhibit these traits, the more good we're doing to influence the world. Join in on the celebrations!

National Entrepreneur's Day -Nov. 20

Starting small

https://www.pexels.com/photo/group-of-friends-hanging-out-933964/

This holiday celebrates those who are taking a huge leap. National Entrepreneur Entrepreneurs show up all around our worlds. Photographers, YouTubers, DIY-ers, pretty much anyone who starts out on Etsy. Celebrate their bravery and accomplishments on this day by doing something you wouldn't normally do. Maybe go out of your way to hire their services, or take time to purchase something from a smaller business on Etsy. There are a number of ways you can help your community and Economy.

Future Teachers of America Day -Nov. 20

Apple On Books

https://www.pexels.com/photo/256520/

This day does double holiday duty, taking a day to celebrate those who are going out into the world, risking all they have into their business provider and those that shape the mind of the next (next) generation. The Future Teachers of America day celebrates students who are going to take the next step and change America for the better, by teaching values and math to the people that come after them. Teachers are a huge part of who we are, and why we know what we know.

National Espresso Day-23

Breakfast Drink

https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-ceramic-mug-and-saucer-685527/

National Espresso Day lets you get some (okay a lot of) caffeine into your system as a part of a celebration! This year the holiday falls on the same day as Black Friday. Celebrate this holiday as a necessity, as who will be able to continue shopping at four in the morning without a shot of espresso?

International day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women -Nov. 25

Blurred 'Peace'

https://www.pexels.com/photo/pink-peace-light-sign-752473/

Women are targets of violence because we are, on average, less physically strong than men. This, of course, makes us targets to violence in any number of ways. This day celebrates women banding together to take a stand against the violence. Every kind of violence needs to stop. Joining the other women internationally to celebrate this holiday is the first step. Make it a movement, and the violence rates can start to go down. Help us celebrate this day and make a difference.

Giving Tuesday -Nov. 27

Giving small gift

https://www.pexels.com/photo/photography-of-a-man-and-woman-laughing-1165609/

The first Tuesday after celebrating Thanksgiving, we have an international chance to give others more to be thankful for. "#GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving." Giving Tuesday supports all kinds of charities. Check out their homepage for ways that you could give to help!

Veteran's day -Nov 11/observed Monday

Soldier and Black Dog

https://www.pexels.com/photo/soldier-and-black-dog-cuddling-34504/

While almost everyone in America knows about National Veteran's day, it is an underappreciated holiday. Veterans give everything to their country. Often, that includes their lives. When those that come home do, they are meeting with adjustment issues, PTSD, and traumas that can haunt them forever. Yet all we do is post a sign or a Tweet saying thank you? Words, while nice, are not enough. We need to, and we can do more for our veterans. If you were to celebrate any holiday, celebrate this one, however belated it is. Pick a program that can help veterans. And take your time off to do. If you know a veteran, offer to help him out. If he doesn't need help, ask for the names/numbers of friends, to see if you can help them. These are the men and women that sacrifice everything to protect the country. Even if you disagree with their politics, or dislike something they say, they deserve respect and could use some help. To volunteer to help, follow the link: https://www.dav.org/help-dav/volunteer/volunteer-locally-help-veterans/

From Coffee to stopping Violence, here are 10 underappreciated holidays, that you can start celebrating now, and make an immediate difference in your community. Helping others is a big part of a community, and all could benefit from any two holidays off this list. Give to others, support our veterans, and spread kindness.