A Winter Wonderland

A Winter Wonderland

History of Winter

90
A Winter Wonderland
Lauri Lohi Photography

December is officially here, and soon, holidays such as Christmas and News Years will be here which I'm looking forward to. On the winter solstice, fall will pass its torch to winter, and winter will officially begin. Winter is not my favorite season. It's cold, the roads are at times icy, the snow can be just as dangerous, and some years, the piles of snow are taller than I am. There are some pros to winter though. Like, I don't have to worry about annoying bugs, and the first snowfall is really pretty. It's like a Winter Wonderland with all the pretty lights that people hang up and the snow. It's picture perfect.

The winter season is also really interesting when it comes to mythology.

In Persian Culture, they celebrate Yalda Night which was a Persian festival that celebrated the arrival of winter. Along with bringing in the winter, they also celebrated the renewal of the sun, and victory of light over darkness. The eve of the festival is on the longest night of the year, and on that night they celebrate the birth of Mithra, who is the goddess of light in Persian mythology.

Yalda, a Syrian word that comes from the Persian language, means birth. Its associated with Shab-e Chellah, a celebration of the winter solstice which is the longest night of the year.

In Greek Mythology, there is a reason behind why we have the seasons especially winter.

Demeter is the goddess of the earth especially of the corn, grain, and harvest. She is the daughter of Cronus and Rhea, both Titans. Demeter made the crops grow year round, and is associated with the seasons. Demeter has a daughter named Persephone. Hades fell in love with Persephone, and wanted her to be his wife. So, Hades abducted her, and took her to the underworld. Because of this, Demeter became upset, and decided to cruse the world making all the plants die.

Zeus noticed what had happened, and wanted the Earth to return back to normal. So, Zeus decided to get Persephone back. When Zeus found her, he found out that she had eaten while in the underworld. Because of this, Persephone had to spend four months out of the year in the underworld with Hades. During these months, Demeter would withdraw her gifts from the world as she grieved thus creating winter. Spring symbolized the return of both Demeter and Persephone.

There are also different figures that relate to the winter season.

Cailleach Bheur

In Scotland, she was called Beira. The Queen of Winter had one eye, bad teeth, matted hair, and was old.

Frau Holle

In Scandinavian Mythology and legends, Frau Holle is associated with snowfall and the Yule season. It is said that when it snows its because she's shaking her feathery mattresses.

Odin

In some legends, Odin is similar to Father Christmas where during Yuletide, Odin gives his people gifts while riding across the sky on a magical flying horse.

Mithras

In Ancient Rome, Mithras was known as the god of Sun. Mithras was born around the winter solstice, and resurrects around the spring equinox.

Related imageSaturn

Every December, Romans held a week long festival to honor the god of agricultural. During this time, roles were reversed. Masters and slaves would switch places.

Spider Woman

Soyal is a festival of the winter solstice. It's where the Hopi people celebrate both Spider Woman, Hawk Maiden, and the sun's victory over the darkness of winter.

Le Befana

Le Befana is the Italian Crone goddess. She rides around the world on her broomstick giving children that are good candles and gifts. Also, similar with Santa Claus, people place a rag doll that looks like her, by your windows or doors.

Today, Le Befana is a national icon in Italy, and is celebrated throughout the country. Every year, there is a festival that is held to celebrate.

Father Christmas

His story is quite famous throughout the world. The story begins in the 3rd century in which is modern day Turkey. Saint Nick was born around 280 AD in Patara near Myra. Legends states that Saint Nick gave away all of inheritance in wealth, and decided to travel to hep people that were sick or poor.

The name Santa Claus came from Nick's name in Dutch which was Sinter Klaas. Sinter Klaas is short for Sint Nikolass which is Dutch for Saint Nicholas. The name Father Christmas comes from English legend.

I love history, and love learning about different cultures. There was some things that I knew, but I also learned a few things. There is a lot of history with winter especially the winter solstice and Christmas.

Sources: Real Iran (Persian Culture), History Channel (Father Christmas), Thoughts Company (deities), and Wikipedia.