Going to My 30-Year High School Reunion
News

Going to My 30-Year High School Reunion

It was hard to believe that I was about to see everyone from high school again.

10
Going to My 30-Year High School
Reunion

Time obviously quickens as we age, and it seemed as though, just a few years before, my best friends and I were lunching at our favorite diner after school. I couldn't help wondering what everyone would look like, and if they'd still be the same, or more interesting versions of their old selves.

Although we'd promised to stick together, my core friend group split under the pressure of college, which was difficult to deal with, though it does happen to just about everyone. Moving on, it seems, is as inevitable as getting older.

In any case, I was hoping that things would go smoothly at the reunion. 30 years is a long enough time that everything can change. I wondered, too, if my old crush Lucas would be there, and made sure to put on my best lipstick before heading out!

The Drive There

The drive there brought a lot of thoughts: what had everyone been up to? Were they married? Did they have children? Meanwhile, I put on my favorite music—90s. I may be getting old, but I still love Sir Mix-a-Lot!

Pulling up, there were so many familiar faces, but the school itself had been repainted and landscaped. Even our mascot had been replaced. I was almost unsure if I was in the right place!

Walking Through the Halls Again

Inside, I decided to visit my old locker. Walking through the halls brought such a wave of nostalgia; words do the feeling of no justice. When I finally came across my locker, I tried the combination knowing that it wouldn't open. And sure enough, it had outgrown me!

The Chocolate Strawberry Fountain Reminded Me of Prom

I heard that everyone had started to gather in the gym, so I made my way there. When I finally arrived, the giant chocolate fountain with its accompanying strawberries stole my attention. It was just like your senior-year proms, but this particular fountain was far more elegant. My mouth-watering, I went over to try some.

That was when Lucas sidled up to say hello. I had a mouth full of chocolate and almost choked while I composed myself. We were more excited to see each other than I'd anticipated, and after a nice, long conversation, he offered his phone number on a chocolate-stained napkin.

Re-Connecting with Mike and Lisa

Across the gym were my old friends Mike and Lisa. They had gotten married, which shocked me, even though they were high school sweethearts. I couldn't fathom how exciting it was to see them thriving!

They also looked a lot younger than I did; in fact, it seemed as though they had hardly aged, and I almost wanted to hide because of how wrinkly I looked in comparison.

Jokingly, I asked, "What did you two do with Mike and Lisa?"

Mike laughed and said, "Oh, you noticed? For our 25-year anniversary, we got each other facelifts!" They'd consulted a doctor, who said that the procedure could shave off more than a decade. Like me, he didn't know that even men could get one!

It was such a pleasure to see them, and for the first time in my life, I seriously considered getting a facelift. I wouldn't mind looking even just slightly younger!

I had a Great Time Seeing My Old Friends

Before the reunion, I had doubts, but it turned out well! It was such a pleasure to see how much my classmates have grown and to get some incredible advice.

And how could I forget to mention the delectable food, the blast-from-the-past slideshow, and the impromptu school chant? By the time the administration set up a fun game of 'Jeopardy!' (I came in third place!), I made a promise to myself to go to the next reunion, and the next, and the next.