32 Things I Wish I Had Known Before High School

I don't want to go back to high school, but I wish someone would've told me these things before I started.

113
Aeropostale's Instagram

Let’s face it: high school was nothing like we expected it to be. Four years of trying to find yourself and figure out what you want to do with your life. Here is a list of things I wish someone would’ve told me before I started high school.

1. Stay focused on God

He is the only one that is guaranteed not to leave you!

2. Find friends who care about you

Don’t waste your time with a group who doesn’t care about you, just for popularity. It won’t matter after you graduate anyway.

3. Get a pet

Elvis is the sweetest dog ever, and he loves me unconditionally! Even when I go overboard on the pictures.

4. Enjoy life

Don’t do something just because someone else did, do it because it makes you happy.

5. Lose the resting face and smile more

Just try it, you may like it. But really, a smile goes a long way.

6. Listen more

That stuff your science teacher said in class may or may not be on the test, you never know it may be important.

7. Don't try to please everyone

You’ll just wear yourself out trying to be a people pleaser. Just make sure you’re happy with yourself.

8. Don't let stress take over your life

School and grades are important, but they aren’t the only things that matter in your life right now! Do your homework on time, so you have more time to have fun.

9. Love more

You can never tell someone enough how much they mean to you, be sure you tell them before you go off to college/work and don’t see them every day.

10. Be kind

You never know what kind of day someone is having, so always treat others as you’d want to be treated.

11. Make friendships that will last

Make friends that have common interests with you.

12. Seek adventure

Take that vacation, go to the beach for just a day, do that spur of the moment camping trip. You miss 100% of the chances you don’t take.

13. Don't let others get you down

Don’t worry about your classmates and what they think about you, it’ll all be over in a few years anyway.

14. Study, or at least learn how to

I didn’t really have to study until 10th grade, but when I got to that point I had no idea what study habits worked best for me. Learn early!

15. Capture memories

Take pictures, keep that movie stub, and put them in a scrapbook.

16. Cherish those memories

Maybe after your selfies, put the phone down and enjoy nature.

17. Believe in yourself

Always believe that you can do anything you set your mind to.

18. Set a goal, and achieve it

Write down things you want to accomplish on a board, and check them off as you go!

19. Dream big, but also be realistic

It’s important to dream big, but be realistic with them. It’s unlikely that all your friends will go to college on the other side of the country. It’s okay to go to a local community college or university to start off!

20. Stay true to yourself

Don’t change your values because your friends don’t have the same ones.

21. Find your school "mom" early on

I found my school mom senior year, be sure you have someone at school who can talk you through different situations.

22. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask

Don’t be scared to ask the teacher for help, that is why they’re there!

23. Plan ahead

Write your schedule down in a notebook or a board, so you know when your tests are and when your assignments are due.

24. Be prepared

ALWAYS have pencils and paper.

25. Don't procrastinate

Study throughout the week/weekend, so you aren’t overly stressed out the night before.

26. Read your summer reading book

I know what you’re thinking, spark notes. But, guess what? Sometimes, spark notes don’t help.

27. Write ALL your passwords down where you can find them

This will save you hours of sending “forgot password” emails and the trouble of learning your new password.

28. Don't worry about your dress size

You are NOT defined by your body, but instead by your heart and mind.

29. Love yourself

No matter what happens, love yourself.

30. Ignore the haters

Like I said before, you probably won’t see these people after you graduate.

31. Don't doubt yourself

Don’t doubt how smart or pretty you are, you are you for a reason!

32. Don't try to find your worth in others

This is so unhealthy no matter how you try to do it, just love yourself and everything else will fall into place.

So to all you incoming freshmen, remember these as you embark on your high school journey.

Much luck,

A Newly Named “Has-Been”