6 High School Classes That Are Truly Worth The Investment
Education

6 High School Classes That Are Truly Worth The Investment Of Taking

Your "guide" to your high-school schedule.

400

Whether you're a rising freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, it's never too late to try to take one of these classes. I personally haven't taken them all but as per those, I do wish I did take because I've heard extremely positive things about them from my peers. Whether you have a gap in your schedule or you're looking for just an interesting class to take, you've come to the right place! Here are six classes that are worth taking.

(AP) Psychology

I'm currently taking AP Psychology now. I have to admit, it's one of the easier AP's but aside from that, I find it e xtremely interesting and applicable to many modern day situations. Some topic will come up and in my mind I can almost instantly relate it back to a topic we learned about in Psychology. The class is primarily memorization and most schools even offer an on-level Psychology course if you're interested in learning about behavior and thinking processes (it's a lot more interesting than it sounds).

(AP) World History

I took AP World History last year, and I have to say, it was extremely difficult; however, I had a great teacher and I found the content extremely interesting, especially for someone whose forte is not history. Learning about the progression of the world since 8000 BCE was an extremely cool experience and this is definitely one of the AP classes I recommend, despite its rigor and difficulty.

Some type of fine arts class

Even if fine arts may not be your thing, I added this to emphasize the importance of having some type of "break period." This could be art, music, computer courses (if you enjoy them), design classes, or any type of elective that you find fun. Most students quit orchestra or chorus or art after middle school and it's extremely important for everyone to have a buffer period to do something relaxing that takes away from the core "stressful" classes.

(AP) Statistics

AP Statistics is definitely not an easy class, but it's also not extremely rigorous. I personally love this class because I had a great teacher and we do tons of fun labs weekly. In addition, colleges love seeing that you took AP Statistics as it is a required class in college for most majors and it can help waive off credit so you don't have to take it in college! Some schools offer on-level statistics, but my school does not, so check your course catalog to see what's available!

AP English Lang and Comp/ American Lit

I personally don't take AP Lang, but it is a regret. I have heard that it is a hard class, not in terms of workload, but in terms of the harshness of the grading. However, the class is extremely fun as debates occur about real-world issues and you delve deeper into (actually interesting!) novels. Even if reading and writing is not something you love doing, I highly recommend taking this class.

(AP) Spanish/French/German, etc

I plan on taking AP Spanish next year, and from what I've noticed about my peers, a lot of people don't. In fact, most people entirely quit Spanish or any other foreign language after all the credits have been met (in my school, Spanish 3 is the last). After taking Spanish for so many years, I personally want the satisfaction of taking the AP and feeling accomplished of being "done with it." I also heard it's an extremely fun and useful class, and there's so much to learn!