Hey World, We Are Doing The Worst

Hey World, We Are Doing The Worst

Time to step up and stand out.

My morning started off by me stepping on a powdered donut.

I laughed about it and went on with my day thinking "today will be good. It will be filled with laughs."

I walked into my 9 a.m. and my professor told us our test on Friday is going to be moved to Monday and I knew that today would be a great day.

That 9 a.m. class has 84 people in it. 84 students from different states, different families, different religions, different everything, but all united by this joy of our test being moved back not just a day, but a whole weekend.

Soon after that joyous news, our professor introduced three students who would be sharing their lives with us and myself and the rest of my class would soon come to learn that they would be the sole reason our test is now on Monday.

They were introduced as a part of the LGBTQ+ community and almost instantly the mood in the room changed to extremely positive to an extreme mix of various emotions. People made faces and comments, but we all sat there because attendance is mandatory and a test grade.

To put it all in simpler terms: most of us were outraged.

41 minutes past and 84 students packed up their bags and quickly walked out the door.

I have never called my dad quicker in my life.

I was furious and had to stop his day so that he could focus on mine. I was expecting him to explode, pull me out of school, and force me to move into our church back home, but he didn't. As I was talking to my dad and he was saying all of these things to me to calm me down and give me perspective almost all I could hear was " you sin too."

That's the truth- I do sin. All the time. I make mistakes. I lie. I fall short every. single. day. It's almost embarrassing how much of a sinner I am.

It took me a total of an hour and 15 minutes to realize that I needed to be forced to sit through that class because I have been failing miserably at loving people. As a Christian, I have been doing the absolute worst at being forgiving and loving. I have expected more from people, but not given those people what they deserve.

I have been focusing more on the fact that I stepped on a powdered donut than I have loving people.

Today, 84 students sat through a class most of them really had zero interest in sitting through. I would say that 80% of those students called their parents- like I did- to complain about how our professor gave us zero option about being in that class today.

Today, 84 students were told how unaccepting we are. How unloving we are. How discriminatory we are.

Today, one student saw the truth. Saw that yes, we are unaccepting. Yes, we are unloving. And yes, we need to fix it, but not in the way the three students who spoke to my class were asking us to.

I am here and I am saying: I hear you, I see you, I love you, and I am praying for you. I am praying that we all become more loving. That we all becoming more forgiving. That we all focus on what is good and what is true rather than what the world sections us off as.