Hey Millennials: Life Does Not Owe You Anything

Get off your couch, turn off Netflix, and go make a difference

33

Hey Millennials,

Yes, especially you college students out there. As 2017 kicks off, I'd like to give you a pep talk.

Life does not owe you anything. If you want something, you have to earn it. Which means... you have to work for it.

I'm going to be honest with you: the results will not come immediately. All good things take toil, time, and patience. However, I can promise you that there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel. So keep on pushing even when everything seems to be against you.

Quit begging for free college tuition. I get it: tuition is expensive. I understand that you want that degree so you're not working at a job that pays $7.25 an hour (in Texas). However, you should know by now that nothing comes free. Somebody is eventually going to have to pay whether it be you, your parents, someone you know, or someone you don't know. If you want to have at least some of your tuition covered by some sort of financial aid, make academics a priority, get a job, and become involved in activities while you're in high school. Or you can take the ultimate oath and join the U.S. military.

Joining the military will teach you important life lessons about work ethic, teamwork, gratitude, leadership, and overall transform you inside and out. Your four years of service as an enlisted member will challenge you mentally and physically, but it will be worth it in the end. You will be proud of serving something greater than yourself.

I am at fault at this as well. I think that sometimes I'm entitled to certain things. I know for a fact that college students think that they "need" that iPhone 7, that Mac laptop, that iPad. College students expect their parents to buy them the hottest technology device or the newest fashion trend.

My fellow millennials, what are you doing sitting on the couch and scrolling through the newsfeed on your Instagram account? Do me a favor and quit sitting on the couch and scrolling through social media newsfeed. Quit talking and whining and start tackling the important items on your to-do list. Get off the couch, turn your TV off, log off of Netflix on your laptop, put your device down, and please do productive things. Apply for a job. Get some work experience in so that you can be more prepared to enter the workforce after graduating from college. Learn how to manage your finances so that you're not drowning in debt. Learn how to cook so that you're not eating out all the time or microwaving TV dinners or eating Maruchan every single night.

Why are you afraid of greatness? Are you afraid of being ridiculed and surrounded by haters and doubters? Are you afraid of getting a little bit dirty and sweaty? I urge you to be more than just an average guy or gal out there. Try things out. Don't be afraid to fail because failure teaches us many lessons and helps us become better people. And definitely don't be afraid to give it 110% effort each and every day. It's OK to cry, pass out, and puke along the way. What's not acceptable is giving up. If you start something, be sure to finish what you started.

And if you do fail or get knocked down, don't sit around and sulk and feel sorry for yourself. You sometimes have to embarrass yourself in front of others. Don't be afraid to do so and don't take the laughter that comes at you like a storm personally. Don't be discouraged by a setback. Instead, get up and keep on trying until you succeed.

Why are you afraid of the truth? Why would you rather be kissed by a lie than smacked by the truth up front? Are you afraid of losing friends or being scorned and criticized? It's better to learn the hard facts sooner than later. You might be angry at first, but the truth will set you free. I urge you to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. You might lose "friends" by being straight up honest, but I promise you that your true friends will remain loyal to you no matter what happens.

But most of all, quit making excuses. Quit viewing yourself as the victim. You are a winner so start acting like one. Be humble and confident in all that you do. I urge you to start respecting yourself and others more. Be better than your parents before you. If you never had a father figure in your life and you're a guy, you should make it a priority to always be there for your future children. Quit saying that you're too tired, it's too hot or too cold outside, it's raining or snowing, or that you don't have enough time. Find a way to get out and complete that workout you were planning to do today.

Remember that someday very soon we are going to be the leaders of our country and our world. Our future children need role models to look up to. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and work for it!