Hey! I'm Sitting Here!

Hey! I'm Sitting Here!

You ever feel like people just walk right over you?

2
Hey! I'm Sitting Here!
Energy Design Resources

Okay, picture the scene/spot/place, whatever. For a student of UC Merced you should know the place of which I speak. That spot with the table ad loveseat. It’s a loveseat, not a sofa. Anyway, the spot between the offices of the professors and the stairs, it’s a gap. There is a whiteboard on the wall of the stairs. Right? You got it? Good.

So I was sitting against the whiteboard wall and my friend was on the loveseat. He had offered the space next to him, but I had declined. He eventually took up the whole sable edge on that side either way so I was happy against the wall. So back against the wall I sat. My legs are stretched out in front of me on the floor as I had been sitting with knees bent for a couple hours before while in classes. I have my things, assorted papers and binder, spread out on either side of my legs. On my side of the table I have my stash of food ready for consumption. The point is that I have staked my claim on this small stretch of carpet from the whiteboard wall to the small table. I am 5’2” as well making this area quite small. Now then, can someone please tell me why people think it is fine to just walk over my outstretched legs, and essentially me as a whole? Hello?! You see me and you still feel the need go through the space I have claimed as my domain. You see me and still decide that going around the stairs, passed the bathrooms, will kill you. Allow me to let you in on a little secret: it won’t!

Now some of you people may think that I am in the wrong spot, period. However, may I just point out that this gap between walls is unofficially an area unto itself. There is a whiteboard across from the loveseat meaning that view of the whiteboard is something required. That is hard to maintain when people keep traipsing about between the whiteboard and the loveseat. There is also an Ethernet wall jack on the whiteboard wall ,across from the loveseat. This implies that a student with a laptop will/would be using it. In essence there would be a wire stretching from the wall to the loveseat or over to where I am seated. That creates another thing to potentially either trip over, or walk over successfully.

My point is, if there is someone sitting up against the wall, belongings on either side of them, please, for the love of Cthulhu, go around the stairs. It is not going to kill you. Honest. It might even save you a whole walk around the offices themselves since not everyone can claim they know where exactly a professor’s office is located. Also, I do not like being walked over. Kind of tells me you do not respect that I am actually there.