Hey Dad, This One's For You

Hey Dad, This One's For You

Thanks for being you, you’re kind of a big deal. – Love Rosie

1717
Hey Dad, This One's For You
Life 102.5

Growing up the youngest and only girl, it was kind of inevitable that I would become “Daddy’s Little Girl.” I genuinely feel for those who are not fortunate enough to have grown up with a Dad like mine. I'm sure my brothers can attest to him being a goofy loser at some points, but he's our goofy loser and we would not change a single thing.

Now that I'm "Daddy’s not-so-Little Girl," I reminisce about some of the things growing up with a Dad like mine, that really shaped me into the young woman I am today. If you are lucky enough, you know my Dad, and know he literally is The Man. So this one’s for you, old man, pause "Days of Our Lives" for a quick second and take a look at how special you are to me.

First of all, thank you so much for supporting our family. I know we give you a whole lot of garbage for “whatever it is you do” - as nobody really seems to know exactly - but we know you work your butt off day and night to give us the best.

Thank you, for personally supporting me in everything I was involved in growing up. Even though you always seemed to blame dance for my different injuries - when I realistically most likely got them from basketball. But regardless, you never missed a dance recital or game.

Thank you, Coach, for stepping up and coaching my teammates and me in multiple off-seasons. Yes, I was “the coach’s daughter”, but thank you for not treating me like it. As soon as we stepped into the gym you would treat me and my teammates all equally – as respectable young women with a hell of a lot of athletic potential. I do not really know how you did it, but your coaching style is actually amazing. I literally still get people reaching out to me telling me that “Your Dad is my favorite person/Coach ever.”

You knew when to be serious, when to be mean, and when to joke around and crack a joke about the ref’s looks or something dumb, mid-timeout-huddle, just to calm everyone down.

Thank you, for trying to be Mr. Mom that one time and make me eggs in the morning. Scrambled eggs do not require milk, but you needed milk to make them for some reason and we didn’t have any, so you thought the chocolate milk Breakfast Essential shake would suffice. It didn't, but a couple of mouthfuls of nasty grey looking scrambled eggs later, I had a funny story to tell, so thanks. Probably stick to just giving me orange juice for breakfast.

Thanks for the little Daddy-Daughter lunch dates we would have when I was younger. Some of my favorite memories involve feeding seagulls French fries through the sunroof of your car in the Wendy’s parking lot. And then especially going home and bragging to Mom that we went on our own little lunch date that she wasn’t invited to.

Thank you, for having such confidence. Half the time I don’t even know if its confidence or just an awesome talent of bullshitting; probably a little of both. Either way, it has gotten us into some of the craziest/best situations that literally can’t be described in any other way than saying “It was something only my dad could pull off/get away with."

For example, you talking your way into the Eagles/Giants game without a ticket, becoming best friends with college campus janitors and have them give us private tours around campuses, talking your way out of any sort of late fee, or just literally seeming to know everyone you ever cross paths with. It’s pretty cool being associated with you, and I will forever be upset I didn’t inherit this extreme confidence gene.

Thank you, for being The Man. I don’t exactly know what it is, but people love you. Adults, my friends, old lady Helen from Stewarts, you name it; they all love Mr. Guiry.

I kid you, not some people voted for my dad for president. He kind of rules my town and yet has no official position working in/for my town. It's ridiculous.

Thank you, for being silly sometimes and not getting too mad when I tweet about you or record you and put the videos “out there” for my friends to see. Believe me, they love it, it’s okay.

Thank you, for even though I am in college, calling me or texting me pretty often just to yell “WAZZZUPPPP” when I answer the phone and making me laugh. I miss you and our little jokes and lunch dates all too much when I’m at college.

Thanks for being the best role model, coach, dad, and friend. Thanks for being you.

You’re kind of a big deal. – Love, Rosie

Okay, I’m done, you can turn "Days of Our Lives" back on and continue to call out exactly what’s going to happen next because “you could write this show,” right?