Here’s To You, Michael Goodman

Here’s To You, Michael Goodman

13
Here’s To You, Michael Goodman

We all have people in our lives who mentor us, challenge us and push us to become better people. In our organizations, we have advisors to keep us grounded and remind us why we’re doing what we’re doing. One such person within the larger IU Greek community – and many will agree - is the Senior Assistant Director for Fraternities and Sororities, Michael Goodman.          

Michael recently announced his acceptance of a new job that will take him to the other side of the world in China. While we are very proud of and excited for him, those of us who had the pleasure of knowing Michael and/or working with him will miss him very much.

“He truly cares about everyone's happiness,” said Bill Phan, president of Pi Kappa Alpha, the fraternity of which Michael is an alum. "He is such a positive person that others can only be in a good mood when they're around him. He wants everyone to be the best that they can be and he is always willing to help you get there however he can.”   

Nisha Boyington, vice president of extension for the Panhellenic Association, said the thing she admires and will miss most about Michael is his honesty.   

“He is so real with everyone,” Boyington said. “He is not afraid to tell you the truth to your face, which is sometimes terrifying but also beneficial in the end. I hope to exhibit that quality through my own experiences, because I think it's great.” 

Phan said although there are many things he will miss about his "mentor, brother and friend", he will miss Michael's personality the most. 

“Michael is incredibly compassionate about everything he does, and no matter what happens to him he continues to have a smile on his face,” Phan said. “He has touched so many lives, whether they have just met him once or have a deeper relationship.”  

Michael Goodman inspired so many of us Greeks and reminded us of the importance of living our values and holding ourselves and others accountable for our actions. When he would come to our chapters and speak, we could listen to him talk for hours. He listened to our concerns and was always willing to talk to us. He wanted nothing but the best for us individually and as organizations. He still does.   

Michael, we wish you the best of luck in China and we thank you for all you've done for IU Greek life! You have impacted so many of us more than you’ll ever know. You will truly be missed, but we know only great things are in store.