You May Not Like The Show But '13 Reasons Why' Has Helped Start A Conversation Around Mental Health

The best way towards prevention is discussion and communication

49
Instagram

Yes, "13 Reasons Why" is an incredibly controversial show. Season one made a lot of people very angry because they thought that the show took depression, suicide, rape, and other incredibly triggering and serious topics far too lightly.

Season two came out last Friday and the creators took even more measures to ensure proper trigger warnings and discussion points. The series started with the entire cast coming together explaining that the show is very serious and may upset viewers, and giving the number and website to a suicide hotline. Every episode also ends with this message.

Episode one begins the trial for Hannah Baker, a suicide victim. It also shows Alex, who attempted suicide at the end of the season one finale, coming back to school for the first time. He is greeted by a friend who tells him that per the school's new rule they are unable to discuss suicide on school grounds. This, rightly so, upsets him.

The show semi- mocks the idea that banning the discussion of suicide among students and trusted adults with somehow lessen the effects and prove to make teenagers suddenly stop feeling immense pressures, depressed, or suicidal thoughts.

While "13 Reasons Why" may get some things wrong, it certainly gets one thing right. The best way towards prevention is discussion and communication. Making students feel afraid to talk to their friends about how they're feeling is a surefire way to make them bottle up their emotions and feel even more trapped and alone.

Barring discussion is no way to eliminate teen suicide. Making kids feel like the way they feel is "wrong" or "not allowed" will only make them feel worse, different, and isolated.

Stopping communication will only make the problem worse. Allowing open dialogue and discussions will make kids feel like they are validated and that they can get help for the way they are feeling.