11 Potentially Life-Saving Tips For The Sick College Student

It will hit you at some point, so here are some ways to work around it.

45
Vladislav Muslakov

You see, I'm that kind of person that very rarely gets sick, but when I do, it hits hard (Poses as Most Interesting Man in the World, or, in this case, Most Interesting Woman in the World). Getting sick in college is basically inevitable; you're surrounded by numerous people and you don't know what they're carrying with them.

Stress from academic, financial, relationship and other areas can compromise your immune system, or just cause it to shut down entirely if you're as unlucky as I am.

Poor diet, lack of sleep (less than 6 hours a night) can all cause your body to become a germ magnet, and it will hit at some point, more than likely at the most inconvenient point (for me, freshman year, it was during finals). However, even if you can't magically cure yourself in a day, here are some helpful tips on how to work around your illness.

1. You thought you missed your mom already? Ha!

No matter how old you get, whether you're 13 or 30, when you're sick, you're gonna miss the absolute heck out of your mom and how she used to nurse you back to health.

Now, that's up to you.

2. It'll be more than just a cold.

With all the new people you're constantly surrounded by and all the germs being spread to each other, you're gonna contract something nasty at some point. And it won't be just a cold, it'll also be a stomach virus, a fever, severe pains, etc. It's gonna suck.

Sorry, but it's true.

3. Don't drive (if you can possibly avoid it).

You've heard how dangerous it is to text and drive, drink and drive, drive while tired, etc. Being sick can also impair your ability to concentrate, depending on how bad it is. If you need to go get medicine from Walgreens, find a friend to take you. It's much safer that way.

4. Your health comes first.

Unfortunately, classes don't slow down in college due to an illness, but if you're so bad off that you're almost unable to walk and your roommate has to help you downstairs, maybe you should just skip class and check the syllabus to see what assignments are due that day.

Most professors are understanding of personal situations.

5. Eat healthy.

I know it's easy to fall into bad habits of eating nothing but fast food and pizza in college, but that's probably what got you into this mess in the first place. Unhealthy food weakens your immune system.

Try to eat some more fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water, at least until you get better.

6. Sleep more than you usually do.

Being a college kid basically means that sleep is a foreign concept. For most college kids, getting more than four hours of sleep a night is a mere fantasy, but when you're sick, poor sleeping habits are not going to make you better -- they're only going to make things worse.

Go to bed earlier than normal. Take power naps here and there. No all-nighters!

7. Get some exercise.

Now I know this is probably a complete contrast to what most people think you should do when you're sick (stay in bed and don't leave the house until you're better), but for me at least, a nice workout can have me back on my feet in no time.

I'm not saying go all out and squat 100 pounds 100 times, but a tiny bit of cardio on the treadmill can help you sweat the plague right out of your system.

8. No alcohol.

This one was kind of hard for me -- a glass of red wine after a long day is my definition of perfect, but I had to learn the hard way that a sore throat and a strong red wine are just like Cancer and Leo -- not compatible!

9. Netflix will be your best friend.

For most college kids, this is already the case, but for me personally, I've always been the kind of person who wants to be out and about from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed, so taking it easy and relaxing is not my thing.

However, when your body is slowly trying to kill you, being out isn't an option. So, it's Netflix to the rescue! You can never go wrong with a cup of hot mint tea and old Disney movies.

10. Your real friends will come through.

Some of your friends will just respond with, "Oh, sucks to be you," when they find out you're on your death bed, or they won't want to hang out with you until you're no longer possessed with the virus from Hades, but if you're lucky enough, your friend will come all the way over to your place just to bring you herbal tea.

Now that's a friend right there!

11. Do not, I repeat, do not take Dayquil on an empty stomach.

You can and will get diarrhea. It will strike in the most inconvenient place at the most inconvenient time, such as at the library or in class. Not fun!

What helps you when you're sick?