Why I Love You

Why I Love You

You helped me become this person who suddenly enjoyed living life.

257
Why I Love You
Kaetlyn Collier

Dalton,

First of all, thank you for having the patience to deal with my craziness. Thank you for loving me for who I am, not because you have to, but because you want to. Thanks for making me feel like a princess when I felt like scum.

You make my days shine brightly on a cloudy day, you make the moon illuminate my world on a new moon night. The day we met I swear all the stars aligned just perfectly so I could be lead directly to you.

The first time we said "I love you," felt more exciting than the solar eclipse we experienced, and damn was it much more beautiful too. You're the planet I want to continue to explore each and every day with and I won't let anyone pollute your mind. If there's one thing I'm sure of it's that you're the planet to my home; you need a home to feel safe. The days where it's hailing,

I wholeheartedly apologize, I'm not perfect.

Sometimes I litter on your grounds, sometimes I let it sit there for a few days and allow it to rot a little, but I know it's wrong. Sometimes my ego really gets the best of me and I'm sorry for that. I'll learn to recycle when needed and to just throw the trash away.

When I think about my life as a high school student I think about how ungrateful I was to people and how much I truly didn't care, and that's horrible, I know. Sometimes you just have this not-so-friendly friend on your shoulder the whole time telling you that it doesn't matter. When you graduate high school, that's it. That was your final chance to find someone to involved in your life forever, because Lord knows in college you won't talk much because you're obligated to as much.

So, because I get head starts on everything, I started my social blanks in high school and kept to myself. I developed a love for loneliness and I thought I was perfect. I kept this attitude up for a long time, and in case you were wondering, yes it carried over to my college years. I felt a change within myself when I jumped on board to work at a company, we'll call the company Shop.

I felt loneliness begin to feel like a burden as I started to grow attached to some people and even considering them my friends. I even ventured out a bit and hung out with one-which I will not talk about due to the not-so-good ending.

At Shop I started forming a little bit of a friend group, which was really cool because I didn't go home on my lunch breaks anymore, I hung out with my friends.

One day, while sitting in the breakroom with a friend, I received a friend request followed by a Facebook wave from this random guy in stationery. Now, I knew he was friends with some of the people I considered my friend, so I thought why not? I gleefully accepted the request and responded with my usual sarcasm, "I don't wave to the enemy."

But little did I know, that wave would become the most important thing to happen to me, because not only did he eventually become my boyfriend, he became my best friend. I grew incredibly attached to him it wasn't even funny.

To this day, Dalton, you still make my heart skip a beat when you say the simplest yet most impactful phrase I've ever heard in my life, "I love you." To this day, Dalton, my stomach feels like a zoo of butterflies when you grab my hand to hold.

I say this now, and I will say this for the rest of my life, you are a blessing in disguise and I will forever be grateful for you. Even if something happens and we go our separate ways, you still dug me out of my rut. You still helped me become this person who suddenly enjoyed living life. You still helped me find the true meaning of friendship, and how one simple wave could be the best thing that could ever happen to you.

I cannot thank you enough for the times you sat there and just let me cry because I couldn't find the will to love myself, you sat there and held me and brought me into a whole new perspective of life. You showed me that grey clouds do not stay forever, that they're only temporary and it'll be okay. I've never felt so safe and comfortable in a world that is being destroyed by constant hate and violence. Somehow you make it all okay again, and that is the best thing someone has ever done for me.

You're the song I never want to end, and every new verse brings a whole new enjoyment in my life. I hope to help you write every lyric to your song because I always want to be apart of you, I always want there to be an us. The harmonies that slip from your lips gracefully sends shivers down my spine, man has there never been a single out of tune note. Please continue to allow me to listen to your song.

So, Dalton, I love you. I don't say it with empty words. The three words are loaded with care, respect, and admiration for you. Always remember that, my love.