5 Tips to Help Prevent Lower Back Pain

5 Tips to Help Prevent Lower Back Pain

Lower Back Pain

9
5 Tips to Help Prevent Lower Back Pain

Lower back pain is the second most common neurological complaint in the United States. About 80% of Americans experience lower back pain at some point in their lives. It is not a disease, but a symptom that may occur from many different underlying causes. While lower back pain can be uncomfortable, there are ways to prevent it.

Common causes of lower back pain:

Arthritis. There are different kinds of arthritis that affects the lower back. Arthritis can affect the spine resulting in the contraction of the space in the spinal cord.

Lumbar Strain. This is a situation where the muscles, ligaments, and tendons at the lower back are pulled causing a tear. The severity varies from mild to severe, depending on the extent of the strain. Sudden and difficult movements can cause the lumbar to be strained. This also happens often to people in poor physical condition.

Abnormality in the spine. Scoliosis is a common irregularity in the spine where it tends to curve to one side.

Osteoporosis. This metabolic bone disease affects the density and strength of the bones. The bones become brittle and often result in a fracture of the vertebrae.

Damaged discs. The discs in the vertebrae act as a cushion in the spine. Because it is soft and cushiony, repeated stress can cause the disc to rupture and press against a nerve.

Accidents and injuries. This is another common cause for lower back pain that results in a fractured bone, often from car accidents or sports. Even a slight movement can cause severe pain.

Lower back pain signs and symptoms:

• Pain in the lumbosacral area or lower part of the back.
  • Pain decreases after reclining or stretching backward.
  • Pain may become worse after sitting for a long time.
  • Pain that can be felt from the back down to your leg.
  • Pain worsens after physical activities (running, lifting, bending, walking, etc.)

5 tips to prevent lower back pain:

1. Eat healthily. Eating healthy will not only positively affect your body in general, but it can also help you maintain the right weight that will not be too heavy for your body.

2. Exercising regularly. This can help with blood circulation since you need to breathe a little heavier than normal. With regular exercise, the back and abdominal muscle can develop endurance and become stronger. With a stronger core, the muscles can function more effectively and efficiently.

3. Maintain proper posture. Poor posture can put pressure on the back muscles and ligaments.

Prevent slouching when seated to maintain a neutral position in the pelvis. Place a pillow or use a backrest to maintain the back's normal curve. Change the seating position frequently and stand if you need to. Prevent crossing your legs and make sure to keep both feet flat on the ground.

Prevent slouching even when standing. If there's a need to stand for a long period, try to lift on the leg and rest it on a low stool. Prevent leaning one leg as it can put pressure on one side of the body, particularly in the pelvic area.

4. Rest your body properly. Sleep is an important part of our daily lives and it is important to give proper attention to where sleep. Sleeping in the wrong position and uncomfortable mattress can strain your body muscles.

A good mattress should provide support to your whole body while maintaining proper spinal alignment. Resting or sleeping with the proper spinal alignment can make you rest and sleep better. Because of the variety of mattresses available in the market, choosing the right one can be difficult. Mattress Battle made it easy for you by listing the best mattresses for lower back pain.

5. Avoid lifting heavy objects. Attempting to lift something too heavy may stress your back muscles. If it is impossible to avoid lifting heavy things, lift the object properly with an upright back, bent knees to lower down your body, and lift. Lower back pain that occurs often because of the improper ways we handle our body can be prevented.

If you are already experiencing recurring lower back pain, it is time to do what you must do. Avoid activities that can worsen the pain and start living a healthy lifestyle. Follow these 5 tips and prevent lower back pain.