How to Help a Friend Get over Alcohol Addiction

Alcohol Addiction

10

Drug addiction is a serious problem in the United States. We all know someone who is a little too involved in alcohol or some other drug. They start it for fun and don't realize when it becomes an addiction. It is easy to tell them to leave addiction, but it's a lot more complicated than that. Addicts don't have control over themselves, and it affects their life, family, and future. If you have a friend or relative who is struggling with a problem of addiction, here's how you can help them.

Understand the Problem

Before you get into solving a problem, you have to understand it first. Study the addiction your friend is involved in. Make sure that the friend is actually an addict and that you're not overreacting. You may even have to consult with professionals to learn as much as you can about the issue. A former addict can provide useful insights into the condition. You are more likely to help the friend sort his issue if you have better understanding of the addiction.

Build Trust and Don't Judge

Most of your job includes talking to the addict. He will listen to you and take you seriously only if he trusts you. Become a friend and build trust before giving any suggestions. It's very important that you don't judge the addict for his habits and choices. Addicts are in a difficult position and very challenged, both mentally and physically. Your friend will grow to hate you if he feels that you're judging. Your goal is to befriend him before you can do anything to help, not grow apart.

Make Them Realize the Problem

The first step to solving a problem is realizing it. An addict won't be able to change his condition until he accepts that he has an issue which needs to be solved. You have to help him understand that without hurting his feelings. Don't criticize him out of the blue, instead discretely make him see how addiction is affecting his life. It's best if he himself gets to this conclusion; you should just pave the way for him. Once he realizes the issue and how much it has cost him only then will he do anything to get rid of it.

Acquire Professional Help

Addiction isn't a small issue that one can get rid of just by understanding it. It's only after understanding it that one decides to do something about it. But to solve addiction for good isn't exactly a piece of cake. You should contact a rehabilitation center and admit your friend there. According to Turning Point Center, rehabilitation centers have a safe environment and experienced psychologists that know how to solve this problem. Your friend will be in a surrounding that is especially made for addicts to recover.

Be Prepared for Negative Response

Addicts are in a difficult spot and don't have much control over themselves. Their mood changes very easily and frequently. Truth isn't very easy to digest and it'll definitely be a problem for addicts. Be prepared to receive backlashes. Your addict friend might get angry, fight, and say things that would hurt your feelings. You must not let anything get to your head and don't get into an argument. Keep calm and an open mind and try to understand his position. You have to make sure that he doesn't stop talking to you, nor should you. Keep friendship even after the fight. Remember that beating him in an argument or proving him wrong won't solve the problem. Wait for him to calm down before you give them any recommendations.