Heaven or Fall at Virginia Tech?

Heaven or Fall at Virginia Tech?

19
Heaven or Fall at Virginia Tech?

Our tan lines may fade as summer turns to fall, but the changing of the seasons brings many things to look forward to at Virginia Tech.

Here are just five reasons why Fall is the best time of the year.

1. Football season and tailgating. It’s okay Hokies, even though we may not know who our starting quarterback is right now, we still have a whole football season ahead of us. That means a whole season of tailgating, which is probably the most fun you will have on a Saturday morning. Football season also means the excitement of jumping to Enter Sandman and starting a cheer across Lane Stadium with the words, “Let’s Go.” If that isn’t exciting enough, we have a Thursday night game back on our schedule this year and we take home field advantage the day after Thanksgiving against the Wahoos.    

2. Dining hall food. We all have that one meal we can’t wait to dig into as soon as we get back to campus. Whether it’s brunch at West End, lunch at ABP or chips and queso at Qdoba, we all have our favorites that we can’t get at home. It’s no surprise that Virginia Tech was just ranked Best Campus Food by the Princeton Review.     

3. New school supplies. There’s something about tearing open a new pack of pens that makes you feel like you can conquer the world, or maybe just the semester. Highlighters, sticky notes, markers, what else could you want? Maybe new school supplies don’t actually guarantee that we’ll get a 4.0 this semester, but we all love the pep in our step that comes with some new school supplies in our backpack.      

4. Pumpkin Spiced Lattes. Yum. If you don’t drink coffee, then I don’t know how you survive college. In the fall, these wonderful drinks from Starbucks can put a smile on your face. If you've never tried one, then you should. And if you just can’t get enough pumpkin, there’s pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies and even pumpkin spice candles!      

5. Halloween and haunted houses. Halloween is on a Friday this year giving true meaning to the term “halloweekend.” This means we’ll have at least two, three, maybe even four opportunities to come up with the most creative costume this year. If you’re a fun person you probably also enjoy haunted houses and scary movies. There are plenty of haunted houses open through the months of October and November, including St. Alban’s Insane Asylum in Radford. Also, if you’re a 90s kid like myself, you probably grew up playing a board game called Ouija. This Halloween is the premiere of a new scary movie about a girl who is killed after playing with an old Ouija board, called, you guessed it, Ouija. Personally, I need some time to prepare to see a scary movie, so mark your calendars and start planning now who you’re going with to see the movie.      

As you enjoy these last few days of summer, soak up the sun and hold back your tears as you get ready to come back to campus. You may have to pack your rain jacket and a few extra layers for fall in Blacksburg, but rest assured there are plenty of fun things to come!