Dear Jordan, "You might be food shopping wrong"

Healthy Grocery Shopping 101 Version 2.0

13

Dear Jordan,

The other day on my Facebook newsfeed I saw "Healthy Grocery Shopping 101" from Buzzfeed Video. I love Buzzfeed and food. Like most people, I want to be healthier. With your experience in media production and mass communication, you touched the public with over 600,000 views. Thank you for underscoring the importance of grocery shopping – a core interaction we often overlook. I am ready for Healthy Grocery Shopping 101 Version 2.0. Here are just a few much-needed updates for you video.

Instead of "Stay in the perimeter..." consider "Balance shopping in the perimeter and center store." Not everyone has the time or ability to prepare all their food from the retail perimeter. More importantly, there are many wholesome foods found in the center store that are ready to eat or easily prepared. These foods include, but are not limited to, whole grains, seeds, nuts, beans, and frozen vegetables.

Reading ingredients is important. When we read and understand what we eat, we can make better choices. However, running away from all chemical-sounding words is a poor tactic that does not help anyone. Everything we eat is made up of chemicals. Consider carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Just check out this banana. Have you ever read thiamine mononitrate on a label? As long and complicated as it may sound, you may find it listed as vitamin B1 in enriched grains/flour.

While buying foods without labels may encourage people to purchase many fruits and vegetables, there are many more nutritious foods without labels. Reading labels lets us compare the nutrition facts of different foods. If not purchasing foods with labels, https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/ or http://nutritiondata.self.com/ provide great, easily-accessible and understood information.

Thank you again for taking this discussion viral. Grocery shopping can be stressful, time consuming, and confusing. In our attempt to simplify things, sweeping generalizations may actually hamper our ability to make great food choices that taste good and have variety.

Your food-loving friend,

Jaye