7 Ways To Get A Tan This Summer WITHOUT Damaging Your Skin

If you have sunburn, stay in the shade.

179

Summer is finally here! Now that the weather is nice, you're sure to find yourself enjoying time outdoors laying by the pool and soaking up the sun at the beach. In the process of achieving your picture perfect tan, check out these tips to make it healthy! Your skin will thank you later.

1. Always use SPF

No matter what skin type you have or how late in the season in maybe, your skin ALWAYS needs a layer of protection if you intend on being outdoors. Something is better than nothing.

2. Reapply, reapply, reapply!

Don't be shocked at 3:00 when you have a sunburn after not applying since 10 a.m. Sunscreens only protect for so long. If you tend to forget, set an alarm on your phone.

3. Refrain from using baby oil

When combined with the sun, baby oil does nothing more than burn you to a crisp. It provides absolutely no skin protection. Years from now, you'll be glad you saved it for shaving only.

4. Care for your skin outside of the sun

After a day in the sun, aloe and coconut oil are your best friends regardless of whether you've burned or not. It's important to use these along with other lotions to keep your skin moisturized and to prevent peeling!

5. If you have sunburn, stay in the shade

Nothing makes a sunburn worse than, well, the sun. If you must go outside still, be sure to stay under the shade or wear clothes and hats that cover your burned skin at the least.

6. Stay hydrated!

Don't let your skin dry out in the hot summer sun! Drink plenty of water when you're in and out of the sun to keep your skin healthy. If you're sweating or engaging in physical activity, be sure to drink a little extra water.

7. Avoid tanning beds

This is especially true if you're already spending time in the sun. For one, tanning bed usage has been linked to skin cancers. Trust me, your skin does not need the extra UV rays. Not only will your skin be thankful for this tip, but your wallet will be too.

8. Know your skin and don't get caught up in other's behaviors

You can read tons of articles such as this for skincare tips, but at the end of the day, no one knows how your skin handles the sun quite like you do. Know when it's time for your skin to be covered up. If you burn easily, don't be fooled by your friend who uses a low SPF tanning oil and reapplies less often than you do.