Being in college means two things: you have no money and you have no time. Your main priority isn't always eating what's healthiest, but what you can find that's quick and cheap. However, if you know where and how to look, eating well can be inexpensive and simple.
Make sure to plan out what you're going to buy beforehand. I used to make the mistake of going to the store, buying what I thought I needed, and spending way too much. Now, I plan out a couple of meals for the week so I can buy food in bulk. Make a list, and don't go shopping when you're hungry. Incorporating the use of spices in my cooking has also made my food taste better, and actually lowered the amount I spend on groceries.
If you want a snack, it's a lot cheaper to buy an apple over a candy bar. There are lots of snacks that are inexpensive and provide more nutrients, like nuts and fruits. Pack these for when you're on the go so you don't get something unhealthy. It's really important to eat at home or bring food from home as much as possible because you know exactly what's in your food. You will also keep costs low this way.
Buy whole foods as much as possible. Pre-cut fruits, pre-shredded cheese, or other conveniently prepared food add an additional cost to your list. Choose generic products over brand-named ones. You are often getting the same product, but it is at a lower cost. Frozen foods are another great way to buy in bulk and ensure it lasts.
- Mixing Things Up With A Healthy Diet ›
- How Millennial Parents Are Raising Healthier Children Than ... ›
- Eating Healthy on a College Budget ›
- How to Eat Healthy on Campus ›
- 7 Healthy Eating Tips For The Holiday Season ›
- What I Eat In A Day As A Full-Time College Student ›
- How To Maintain A Healthy Diet On A College Budget ›
- What Healthy Eating Is and Isn't ›
- How to eat tasty, healthy food on a budget ›
- Healthy Eating Plate | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan ... ›
- Healthy Eating: A Beginner's Guide on How to Eat Healthy and Stick ... ›
- Best Diets for Healthy Eating | 2020 U.S. News Best Diets ›
- Healthy Eating | National Institute on Aging ›
- Healthy Eating On A Budget | ChooseMyPlate ›
- How to Eat Healthy | HHS.gov ›
- What science says about the best way to eat (and what we're still ... ›
- Healthy Eating — A Detailed Guide for Beginners ›
- Healthy Eating - HelpGuide.org ›
- Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight | Healthy Weight | CDC ›