Health Sciences Major: Health and Wellness

Why I'm studying to be a health coach.

28
Innovate Med Tech

Imagine, you’re tucked away in your nicely painted office where the sun shines right through the windows onto your spine. Your own office with plants surrounding your desk. This desk is dressed up with treasured photographs of your spouse, pets, and children. You melt into your extremely comfortable office chair. On your desk is a planner for your next client who will sit in a chair directly in front of you, she’ll be here any minute. The spiral is fresh-out-of-the-package; labelled and color coated. What’s inside? Meal plans. Cardio logs. Physiological measurement records. Weight lifting logs. Goal trackers. Just the mere idea of these tools gets you excited. This is what you were born to do.

For years I was restless over the idea of deciding on a major and what I wanted to pursue for the rest of my life. For a while, I pondered the possibilities, almost forcing myself to just pick something already. A veterinary technician, English teacher, broadcasting journalist, registered nurse, physical therapist, occupational therapist; the ideas were limitless. What I’ve learned while in school, is that if you have to physically write out a list and simply pick the one you feel the strongest about, you’re doing it all wrong. What you’re meant to do will come naturally to you, even if it’s when you least expect it. Sure, many students know right away what they want to do for the rest of their lives, however those students are also the same people who often end up switching their major multiple times. Regardless, it will come to you. The more you panic about “just picking something already” the more unsettled you will feel. Let it come to you.

Exploring your interests goes a long way when discovering what it is that you want to be studying. I go to the gym religiously, and absolutely love planning and rewiring new weight lifting and cardio plans for myself when the used ones get boring or too easy. I am very mindful of my diet, and can sit in front of a nutrition label for hours, dissecting its ingredients just for fun. The unhealthier, the better! (I’m shamelessly nerdy about this kind of thing; the more ingredients I have to read and cringe at, the more entertaining this time is for me.) I’ve always followed this practice, however I never even thought to apply the skills of workout revamping and nutrition education into my future career until I began health classes “for fun” my freshman year in college.

My major is in Health Sciences: Health and Wellness. I am getting a double-minor in nutrition and mass communications. I am not uneasy or unsure when I announce to people by path of education, because for now I am certain this is what I want for the rest of my life. I look forward five years to when I’m sitting in my office that I described earlier. Updating my fitness blog with my fingertips and staring down my yoga mat in the corner of the small room. Hitting “save as draft” on my blog post, since my first client of the day just walked in. Within the past year, I’ve helped her get up, transform, fall down, and then grow like never before. At this time I’d be able to say that I’ve helped not a client but a friend, in blossoming into the person they’ve always wanted to be. Imagine an incredibly overweight client walking through your doors, begging for motivation, overall health, and “to be thin.” You’re the person who gets them up and motivated at the gym, incorporates healthful diets and meal plans for them to follow (and break but you always help them back up when they do), and not only watch the fat melt off their body but the muscle growth that rapidly stacks on as well. You do this for people all over the globe with your blog, by consistently posting workout videos, recipes, tips for staying motivated, and general meal plans.

To assist somebody in becoming the absolute healthiest version of themselves that they can be, is such an essential and rewarding profession. Although not yet given a degree, I have already worked with multiple people; planning their workouts and meals and have seen the transformation and growth right in front of my eyes. I was born to be a health coach, this is what I was placed on this earth to do.