When You Can't Speak, Pray

When You Can't Speak, Pray

He turns our wordless sighs into intimate cries of our heart

264
When You Can't Speak, Pray

This article is for the weary ones. This is for those who have been straining to hear God's voice in their life and for those who can’t seem to find rest in their seemingly impossible circumstances. These words are for the ones who feel like they’re drowning so deep in the lies of the enemy that they don’t know if they'll make it to the next day. Dear readers, the fact that you are here, reading this at this moment, is not by happenstance. God intricately planned every moment of your day right up until the moment you clicked on this article, you are here on purpose - whether you realize it or not.

You know what’s so great about God? He takes our exhausted sighs and holds them near to His father like heart and we don’t even have to explain a thing to Him. Do you ever have days where all you can do is slump into bed and sigh? Or days where you want your friends to just know what your feeling without having to actually explain anything to them? God is that friend for us. When we pray to God we’re not just talking to the sky. We are communicating with a living, intentional God that yearns to be with us at all times. In the weakest moments of our day, God is able to be stronger and take the burdens that weigh us down.

I think when people hear about praying to God they get stuck in what they believe to be something of a formal obligation to bring ourselves to a far away God. The reality of prayer is that it's a special way to talk to our Abba Father. The minute we let go of the circumstances around us and bring ourselves to God, the atmosphere around us changes and we are brought into new life. There is something incredibly powerful about speaking out loud to God. It confirms the longing in our hearts that God is more than the circumstances around us and invites us into an intimate moment with our Father. However, there are times we may not have the energy to bring ourselves to God and speak words out loud - and that’s okay. God comes to us when we are unable to lift our weary heads to Him and He lifts them for us. In the Message Bible version, Romans 8:26-28 says, “Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves…”

What an amazing truth this translates to for our lives. In the midst of our sufferings, God knows where we are and still chooses to accept our broken sighs and hopeless groans. Let this truth sink into the deepest parts of your heart today. If you are in a place in life where all you can do is just let out a big sigh, God sees you. He sees you in your most vulnerable moments and he picks you up like the Father He his, and holds you in the palm of His hand where He transforms your breathless words into prayers. So in the times where you can barely speak, pray. We have a God who hears our voice, even if we don’t talk.