Donating My Hair Is A Decision I'd Do Again In A Heartbeat

A small act of kindness that can go a long way.
65

Now becoming more and more known, hair donation is a simple yet impactful way of helping out both children and adults suffering from cancer, alopecia, general hair loss, etc. We often take for granted features of our body such as a full head of hair or homogeneous skin pigmentation. Although these outer appearances don't define us, they may contribute to our confidence. If you are fortunate enough to have longer hair, consider donating it to organizations such as Wigs for Kids, Pantene Beautiful Lengths, Children with Hair Loss, etc.

After growing my hair out for almost a year and a half, I decided to donate about 16 inches of my hair for the first time last March.

Going into the process, I remember feeling a little nervous because, for most of my life, my hair was a main part of my identity. I had always had fairly long hair and absolutely loved growing it out. However, I realized that it was becoming more of a burden each and every day, not to mention the over-excessive amounts of shampoo being used up each week to maintain it.

I knew that it was time for a cut, but with such long hair, I decided to do some good by donating it. A year later, I found myself in the same situation. My friend who is a part of the Atlanta Pediatric Cancer Outreach organization at Emory University told me about their Haircuts for Hope event that they hold every semester. They partnered with a local salon and gave free haircuts to anyone who wanted to donate their hair. I ended up donating my hair 11 inches and felt so happy.

When we think of hair donations, we don't always think of donating our hair, but the wigs that these organizations are able to make from our hair is invaluable.

It takes between 20 and 30 ponytails to make a wig, and even though it may seem like a lot at first, it is important to realize that a lot of the hair that we donate cannot be used effectively. However, if each person can donate even 3-4 ponytails, it would only take between five and six hair donations to make a full wig.

The next time you are thinking about getting a haircut and are able to cut off more than 8-10 inches of hair, please consider donating it instead! Even one wig can support one more person and help them through challenges they are facing during treatment or due to their conditions.

Donating your hair is extremely easy as well! As long as you meet the actual hair donation requirements, you can go to your local salon and ask them to make a rubber band-ponytail and cut it off for you before they start styling. Seal your ponytails in an air-tight Ziploc bag and mail it to the hair donation organization of your choice!

Spread the love and donate!